Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Explorer error after finding virus

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 johnoctavious

johnoctavious

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:57 AM

Posted 08 April 2012 - 11:15 PM

Hello. This is my first time ever posting on this forum so I'm begging all of you for some help and mercy for someone who's not too tech-savy :). I'm having a problem with my son's computer (and trust me - he's grounded after this). He runs on Windows XP.

The problem started 2 days ago. My son says he downloaded some games (not sure from where) and his computer all of a sudden went crazy. Here's what basically happens since then.

On startup, the very first thing that pops up is a box titled "Data Execution prevention". The message on it reads:
"To help protect your computer, Windows has closed this program.
Name: Windows Explorer
Publisher: Microsoft Corporation".
At the same time, my desktop loads but it goes to a white background that reads "Active Desktop Recovery"

After I click the "Close Message" button found on the "Data Execution Prevention" box, another message pops up that reads:
"Windows Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the incovenience"
After I click "Don't send" when it asks me if I'd like to send an error report, the screen goes black for about 5 seconds and goes back to my desktop that is still with a white background and the "Active Desktop Recovery" message.

From here, things seem to be in really bad shape. Anytime I try to open ANY folder, I get the "Windows explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close" message that I got before. When I say ANY folder I mean things ranging from folders with personal pictures on them to just trying to open up my control panel. I also can't seem to run any programs from my desktop by clicking their icons. Doing so, sends me right back to the error message. What I CAN do, though, is run certain programs by going to Start->All Programs-> and then running whatever I can try. All of this also still happens even when I start the computer up in Safe Mode, by the way.

By going to Start->All Programs, I ran some spyware/adware/virus scans (all completely up to date). The first one I ran was Malwarebytes Antimalware. It found one thing called "pup.bundleinstaller.OI" and was deleted. The second one I ran was AVG 2012. It found a virus that was moved to its virus vault. In the vault, it's named "C:\Qoobox\Quarantine\C\WINDOWS\system32\Drivers\symc8xx.sys.vir". From here, I ran Superantispyware and Spybot Search and Destroy. Both of these came up clean. After seeing that the problem still hasn't gone away, I scanned the computer with Malwarebytes and AVG again and both came up clean.

At this point, I still get the "Data Execution Prevention" error on startup and all other "Windows Explorer has encountered a problem" error messages that I got to begin with - whether I start up the computer normally or on safe mode. I have no idea what else I can do , especially when I can't click on most things without the Windows error message popping up again. I'm not even sure if I'm still not infected with something. Any help at all would be most appreciated. Please keep in mind how I can't run programs by just clicking on them on my desktop so I have no idea how I would run anything if I need to download some programs to help. Thank you, guys.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Nephilim1955

Nephilim1955

• Members
  • 100 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:57 AM

Posted 09 April 2012 - 03:58 AM

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/fixtheproblem/ht/depexplorerexe.htm

Someone from the Malware Team will help you remove:

C:\Qoobox\Quarantine\C\WINDOWS\system32\

Probably with a tool called Combofix.

Edited by Nephilim1955, 09 April 2012 - 04:08 AM.

#3 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,530 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:57 AM

Posted 09 April 2012 - 09:41 AM

The problem here is someone already ran Combofix on here and didn't know what to do with the results..

I need you to repost this topic with these logs..

Please go here....
Preparation Guide ,do steps 6 - 9.

Create a DDS log and post it in the new topic explained in step 9 which is here Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs and not in this topic,thanks.
Skip the GMER step and instead post the ComboFix log you have,located at C:\ComboFix.txt.

Let me know if that went well.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users