Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

ESET Online Scanner Log

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4 replies to this topic

#1 motomata

motomata

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:26 AM

Posted 08 April 2012 - 09:37 PM

I was recently involved in a thread to review my computer for any possible infections. Since I have been away the thread was closed before I was able to add the ESET Online Scanner Log as requested for review. I have attached it to this response in hopes that it can be reviewed and guidance provided. Thanks.

Original thread with DDS & related logs can be found here.

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,267 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:26 AM

Posted 11 April 2012 - 08:00 AM

We are in the process of researching and investigating your log. Please be patient as we do this and a Helper will respond shortly.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 mark1956

mark1956

• Security Colleague
  • 271 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:26 PM

Posted 12 April 2012 - 12:27 PM

Hi Motomata, my name is Mark and I will be helping you.

Before doing anything further, if you have not already done so, you should back up all your important documents, personal data files and photos to a CD or DVD drive as some infections may render your computer unbootable during or before the disinfection process. If that occurs there may be no option but to reformat and reinstall the OS or perform a full system recovery. The safest practice is not to backup any files with the following file extensions: exe, .scr, .ini, .htm, .html, .php, .asp, .xml, .zip, .rar, .cab as they may be infected.

Your systems shows evidence of more than one Anti Virus, Avast, Ad-Aware and Norton. Please tell me if you are still using all of these or if you have uninstalled any of them. You should only have one Anti Virus running on your system. Running more than one Anti Virus can slow system performance, cause conflicts and actually reduce your systems security level. Please see the information at the end of the post in respect of Ad-Aware.
Using more than one anti-virus program is not advisable. Why?

You also have uTorrent installed, please read the warning at the end of this post.

There is nothing of significance showing in the logs but we will run a few checks.

Please follow these instructions:

STEP 1
Download Temporary file cleaner and save it to the desktop.
Double click on the icon to run it (it appears as a dark grey dustbin). For Windows 7 and Vista right click the icon and select Run as Administrator.
When the window opens click on Start. It will close all running programs and clear the desktop icons.
When complete you will be asked to reboot, accept the request and your PC will reboot automatically.

STEP 2

Please run Malwarebytes and post the log as follows:

• Open Malwarebytes and allow it to update with the latest definitions, then run a Quick Scan.
  • After completing the scan, a log report will open in Notepad.
  • The log is automatically saved and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab .
  • Copy and paste the contents of that report in your next reply. Be sure to post the complete log to include the top portion which shows the database version and your operating system.
  • Exit Malwarebytes when done.
If Malwarebytes encounters a file that is difficult to remove, you will be asked to reboot your computer so it can proceed with the disinfection process. If asked to restart the computer, please do so immediately. Failure to reboot normally will prevent Malwarebytes from removing all the malware.

STEP 3
Please do another scan with DDS. Do not send the reports as an attachment please copy and paste both into your next post.

To include in your next post:
Malwarebytes log.
DDS.txt
Attach.txt
Tell me which Anti Virus you wish to keep.

Important Note: Using any torrent, peer-to-peer (P2P) file sharing program (i.e. Limewire, eMule, Kontiki, BitTorrent, BitComet, uTorrent, BitLord, BearShare, Azureus/Vuze) or visiting such sites is a security risk which can make your system susceptible to a smörgåsbord of malware infections, remote attacks, and exposure of personal information. File sharing networks are thoroughly infected and infested with malware according to Senior Virus Analyst, Norman ASA. As such, it is not uncommon for some anti-virus/anti-malware disinfection tools to detect torrent related files and programs as a threat and attempt to remove them.

The reason for this is that file sharing relies on its members giving and gaining unfettered access to computers across the P2P network. This practice can make you vulnerable to data and identity theft, system infection and remote access exploit by attackers who can take control of your computer without your knowledge. Even if you change the risky default settings to a safer configuration, downloading files from an anonymous source increases your exposure to infection because the files you are downloading may actually contain a disguised threat. Users visiting such pages may see innocuous-looking banner ads containing code which can trigger pop-up ads and
malicious Flash ads that install malware. Many malicious worms and Trojans, such as the Storm Worm, target and spread across P2P file sharing networks because of their known vulnerabilities. In some instances the infection may cause so much damage to your system that recovery is not possible and a Repair Install will NOT help!. In those cases, the only option is to wipe your drive, reformat and reinstall the OS.

Even the safest P2P file sharing programs that do not contain bundled spyware, still expose you to risks because of the very nature of the P2P file sharing process. By default, most P2P file sharing programs are configured to automatically launch at startup. They are also configured to allow other P2P users on the same network open access to a shared directory on your computer. The best way to eliminate these risks is to avoid using P2P applications and torrent web sites.
Using such programs or browsing torrent sites is almost a guaranteed way to get yourself infected!!

FYI: mvps.org is no longer recommending Spybot S&D or Ad-Aware due to poor testing results. See here - (scroll down and read under Freeware Antispyware Products).

Ad-Aware...have gone into a downhill spiral over the past five years and recently sold the company to Solaria... Majorgeeks stopped listing Ad-Aware as a “pick” some years ago as we watched the quality of the company slip over the years...it can’t stand up to the new generation of anti-spyware applications...

What does the future hold for Ad-Aware?

Ad-Aware has even been placed into the Installers Hall of Shame for bundling and pre-checking Google Chrome during the installation. Also read Lavasoft Turning to the Dark Side? written by a former volunteer (now a MVP) who provided support for Ad-Aware but no longer uses the program.

As for Spybot S&D, most people don't understand how to use TeaTimer and that feature can cause more problems than it's worth. TeaTimer monitors changes to certain critical keys in Windows Registry but does not indicate if the change is normal or a modification made by a malware infection. The user must have an understanding of the registry and how TeaTimer works in order to make informed decisions to allow or deny the detected changes. If you don't have understanding how a particular security tool works, then you probably should not be using it. Additionally, TeaTimer may conflict with other security tools which do a much better job of protecting your computer and in some cases it will even prevent disinfection of malware by those tools.

Edited by mark1956, 12 April 2012 - 12:41 PM.

#4 mark1956

mark1956

• Security Colleague
  • 271 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:26 PM

Posted 16 April 2012 - 08:39 AM

Are you still with us Motomata?

If you no longer require assistance then please let me know so I can move on to helping others that are waiting.

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,267 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:26 AM

Posted 17 April 2012 - 06:24 AM

Due to a lack of response... this topic is now closed. Should you need it reopened, please contact a Forum Moderator or member of the Malware Removal Team. Include the address of this thread in your request. If you have a new issue, please start a New Topic.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users