Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 detects VGA driver as an external display?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 alpha4345

alpha4345

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:03 AM

Posted 08 April 2012 - 09:03 PM

Hello folks from Bleeping Computer!

You know, I am constantly using my netbook for school work and other things. I often have to plug it into external monitors by HDMI output, and all worked fine until yesterday.

Now, when I go to Desktop-> Screen resolution (to choose my display), I always have an extra option even if I'm not connected to anything. It's called "VGA Display Device". If I'm right, it seems that my GPU detects my VGA driver as an external display, like a bug/glitch or something. :(

Here are some screenshots I took:

-My normal display setting: http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/705/capturescreenrez.jpg/

-The VGA display setting: http://img12.imageshack.us/img12/2647/capturescreenrez2o.jpg

When I select it, my screen becomes black and I have no choice but to hard-reset my laptop...

So how to solve this problem? Is there a way to remove/delete/DESTROOOOY this option?

Thank you very much guys!

BTW, sry for my bad english :)

Alpha8768 out.

Edited by alpha4345, 08 April 2012 - 09:04 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:03 PM

Posted 08 April 2012 - 09:19 PM

Please post a snapshot with Speccy -
How to Publish a snapshot with Speccy <<-- Directions
This will help us check if your video / graphics card is installed and active -

Thank You -

#3 alpha4345

alpha4345
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2012 - 09:31 PM

Please post a snapshot with Speccy -
How to Publish a snapshot with Speccy <<-- Directions
This will help us check if your video / graphics card is installed and active -

Thank You -

Right here my friend. Thanks for the faster reply tough :)
http://speccy.piriform.com/results/HdRpuSSifDS88izhAe2Zyll

#4 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2012 - 01:05 AM

Hi -
Sorry if I am a bit slow with a reply (too many Easter eggs) :wink:

Graphics -
Generic PnP Monitor (1024x600@60Hz)
ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4200 Series (Acer Incorporated [ALI]) Check HERE for any updates to your ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4200 Series -

Firewall: EnabledCompany Name: SymantecDisplay Name: Norton Personal FirewallProduct Version: 18.5.0.125Antivirus
Antivirus: EnabledCompany Name: SymantecDisplay Name: Norton Internet SecurityProduct Version: 18.5.0.125
- Unless you automatically have Norton / Symantec installed, I would change it for MSE and turn on M/soft Firewall

CPU: AMD Athlon II Neo K135
Average Temperature: 60 C
- This is too high and will cause problems - Please clean out the fan and notebook and it should drop to about 40 - 45 C

Battery Charge %: 49 % - Keep this well charged and use the plug in cable as often as you can -

Memory
Type: DDR3Size: 4096 MBytes - Very small Ram is always going to slow things and cause minor problems

Apart from that I could not see any other problems at this time, but please post back if the problem gets worse -

BTW, sry for my bad French :)

Regards -

#5 alpha4345

alpha4345
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2012 - 08:05 AM

Hi -
Sorry if I am a bit slow with a reply (too many Easter eggs) :wink:

Graphics -
Generic PnP Monitor (1024x600@60Hz)
ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4200 Series (Acer Incorporated [ALI]) Check HERE for any updates to your ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4200 Series -

Firewall: EnabledCompany Name: SymantecDisplay Name: Norton Personal FirewallProduct Version: 18.5.0.125Antivirus
Antivirus: EnabledCompany Name: SymantecDisplay Name: Norton Internet SecurityProduct Version: 18.5.0.125
- Unless you automatically have Norton / Symantec installed, I would change it for MSE and turn on M/soft Firewall

Average Temperature: 60 °C
- This is too high and will cause problems - Please clean out the fan and notebook and it should drop to about 40 - 45 °C

Battery Charge %: 49 % - Keep this well charged and use the plug in cable as often as you can -

Memory
Type: DDR3Size: 4096 MBytes - Very small Ram is always going to slow things and cause minor problems

Apart from that I could not see any other problems at this time, but please post back if the problem gets worse -

BTW, sry for my bad French :)

Regards -

Ah your answers are fast enough :P I just noticed I wrote "faster reply though" but I meant "fast reply though" xD Sorry about that, you're a pretty good poster ;)

Can I get a safe link from you for MES? ;) It's bizarre, because NIS is working really well for me...

Average Temperature: 60 °C
- This is too high and will cause problems - Please clean out the fan and notebook and it should drop to about 40 - 45 °C

You know what? The cooling in my netbook is freaking sh**! Even if I clean it everyday, my average temperature is 62 degrees :( Yesterday, I played Starcraft II on it for 2 hours and the core temperature was 81 degrees! o_O I had to blew on the fan to help it >.<

Maximum temperature it can take is 95 degrees.

Memory

Its all I can put in this netbook... Though I have a Dell Studio XPS 9100 with 12GB DDR3-1600mhz ;)

Brotha... I'm sure its not an hardware problem but a glitch/bug problem...

Thank you very much for you time BTW :P

ANYONE ELSE???

Edited by alpha4345, 09 April 2012 - 08:07 AM.

#6 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2012 - 08:08 PM

Free download for Microsoft Security Essentials HERE - Direct link -
Also make sure you go > Control Panel and enable Microsoft Firewall -

The cooling in my netbook is freaking sh**! Even if I clean it everyday, my average temperature is 62 degrees

This netbook is not designed to play heavy usage games like Starcraft II, they are just "Notebooks" with a bit extra power for minimal games
Your Dell Studio XPS 9100 with 12GB would handle these games without any problem, but keep the netbook just for minor games -

Regards -

Edited by noknojon, 09 April 2012 - 08:14 PM.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,408 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:03 AM

Posted 10 April 2012 - 11:49 AM

<<CPU: AMD Athlon II Neo K135>>

Max temperature for that model CPU appears to be 95 Celsius...processor max temps vary by model.

<<Type: DDR3Size: 4096 MBytes - Very small Ram is always going to slow things and cause minor problems.>>

4GB of RAM runs Win 7 just fine, IME.

I suggest uninstalling the current video drivers...then reinstalling same or updated video drivers from the website of the system manufacturer.

Louis

#8 alpha4345

alpha4345
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2012 - 12:27 PM

Uhm guys you know what?

The problem has been solved by connecting my netbook to a VGA display with a VGA cable o_O Looks like the port was confused/blocked or someting else...

We can now lock this topic ;)

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,408 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2012 - 03:48 PM

:thumbsup: , well done...happy computing :).

Louis

#10 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2012 - 05:27 PM

<<CPU: AMD Athlon II Neo K135>>
Max temperature for that model CPU appears to be 95 Celsius...processor max temps vary by model.
<<Type: DDR3Size: 4096 MBytes - Very small Ram is always going to slow things and cause minor problems.>>
4GB of RAM runs Win 7 just fine, IME.

Quite correct Louis -
My bad, as I misread these 2 items of another model (wrong model :blink: )
Regards -

#11 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,408 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2012 - 05:54 PM

No problem :)...I misread things every day and even when I read them correctly, my brain sometimes manages to make my response/comment quite confused :thumbsup: .

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users