Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Freezes and won't shut down

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 cc44

cc44

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:56 AM

Posted 08 April 2012 - 06:15 PM

Hello All...

I am sure I will get the help I need here...here is my system info:

HP Model s5310y
AMD Athlon II X2 250 Processor 3.00 GHz
4.00 GB (RAM)
64 Bit Operating System (Windows 7)

My issue is that my system will freeze up at random and the only way to get it up again is a hard shut down. Also, when I do a regular shut down the system will get to the window with the spinning wheel that reads "shutting down" but will get stuck there and I have to do a hard shut down. I know I am damaging my system every time I do a hard shut down and that is is hardware related but I need help in zoning in on which hardware I should look at. I really don't want to take the computer back to Best Buy and pay a $100 diagnostic plus parts to fix this so any help would be wonderful!

Chris

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2012 - 08:29 AM

Are all of your fans spinning in the computer? Is the inside clean of dust, especially around the processor and heatsink?

I would run memtest My linkhttp://www.memtest86.com/ on your computer overnight. If you need help on installing that let us know.

Are you sure that it is a hardware issue? If you go into task manager, do you ever see the cpu usage spiking? I would suggest backing up your files and reformatting/reinstalling the hard drive, or at least restoring it to factory settings, but only if you feel comfortable doing this yourself.

An issue like this could be caused by almost anything really. I've seen similar things happen to computers with failing hard drives, power supplies, or motherboards.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#3 kisk

kisk

• Members
  • 339 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2012 - 12:25 PM

If you're getting hard freezes (system freezes up and nothing moves till you manually restart) I would first suspect memory as Sterling14 suggested. Test each of your sticks separately and in different slots to first rule out memory/slot issues..
Posted Image

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,092 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2012 - 05:14 PM

Try running the chkdsk /r command...and checking for possible system overheating.

If it were me, I'd run the appropriate hard drive diagnostic also.

Louis

#5 cc44

cc44
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2012 - 11:44 PM

Thanks all for the suggestions...

Here is what I have done so far:

Ran checkdisk and hard drive diagnostic as well as uploading and installing all new system drivers
Did the backup on an external hard drive and reinstalled the OS back to factory settings (not fun)
Ran Malware and Spyware software in safe mode (Malware Bytes, PC Tool Spyware Dr., and Super Anitspyware)
Ran ComboFix

Still getting the system to go to shutdown (fans still running) or system freeze up (today my son did a right click on a photo to upload to facebook and the system froze up).

I will run memtest and see what happens.

Thanks for all the help so far!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users