Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Print Problem

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 bikerbill

bikerbill

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:31 PM

Posted 08 April 2012 - 02:58 PM

I have a Dell Dimension desktop and a Toshiba Satellite laptop connected to an OKI B4250 printer through a USB printer sharing switch. The Dell prints fine. The Toshiba will no longer print. Both use XP Pro as the OS.

I have bypassed the printer sharing switch and used a different USB cable from the Toshiba but it still won’t print. Obviously the printer is fine (toner, paper, etc.) since it prints from the Dell. From the Toshiba the printer shows up as ready but when I attempt to print I get a message saying “The document failed to print”. When I look at the print queue the topmost document status is listed as “Error--Printing”. If I delete that document the next document in queue then comes back with the same “The document failed to print” message. I don’t get any specific error code or number (wouldn’t that be nice!). The printer port on the Toshiba is USB001 which seems correct.

I stepped through the Windows troubleshooter and couldn’t find anything wrong other than that it says there may be a problem with the parallel port. But I’m not using a parallel port so I disregarded that bit of information. I tried deleting the printer from the Printers and Faxes panel and removed the software elements associated with the printer using Install/Remove programs. I had some difficulty reinstalling the printer but its back in Printers and Faxes. I also notice that the printer tends to go offline without me telling it to do so. I can put it back online using the Use Online option. For what its worth I can’t print from Notepad, MS Word, MS Excel, web sites, a command prompt, or the printer test page. What do I check next?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 alexsmith2709

alexsmith2709

• Members
  • 504 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:31 AM

Posted 08 April 2012 - 05:45 PM

You say you have tried a different USB cable, have you tried a different USB port? You could have a bad port.
There is also a little program called Print Flush (cant remember where i first found it) that may help you, if you cant find it i'll upload it somewhere for you

#3 bikerbill

bikerbill
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:31 PM

Posted 09 April 2012 - 05:47 AM

I tried swapping USB ports and the printer still does not print when using the other USB port. I know that port works because that's where the optical mouse was connected.

I quickly looked at Print Flush. It seems like it's aimed at cleaning out the Print Spooler. When I look at my Print Spooler it's running and not jammed up, so I don't see any problems there. Any other suggestions?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users