Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cpu Maxed Out At 100%

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 LiftKitGuru

LiftKitGuru

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:43 AM

Posted 22 February 2006 - 02:12 AM

I ran spybot search & destroy, and lavasoft adaware, symantec antivirus corp edition, clean disk and disk defrag. When I press CTRL ALT DELETE and the task manager comes up...under processes the CPU is still peeking at 100% most of the time and even when no programs are open. What else would you suggest to fix this problem.

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:43 AM

Posted 22 February 2006 - 02:20 AM

Can you determine from the list of processes running what is taking the resources? If it is system idle processes, it means that that percent shown is NOT being used.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 nosnhoj#3

nosnhoj#3

• Members
  • 245 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:43 AM

Posted 22 February 2006 - 03:07 AM

Hi there,

You may also have some scheduled tasks running in the background that you don't need. Also, running several scans everyday, or even every other day, can have a detrimental effect on the life of your CPU, unfortunately I had to learn this the hard way, but I am a better Geeek for it now.

If your processor is a Celeron, or anything similar to it, then this might be somewhat normal symptoms, especially if you perform tasks like DVD encoding, Image Editing, Audio manipulation, and so on. These all hog your resources, and even adding 1Gig of RAM doesn't help out with a smaller processor.

Do some research on the programs that start when you boot up, this may help dramatically, and also, turn the un-needed services to manual instead of automatic, if you are not using them all the time, then they don't need to be started up immediately.

Download this program for a user friendly peek into your starting programs: Startup Control Panel by, Mike Lin

To view and manage your services, Press- Windows Key+R -to bring up the Run Box, type in - services.msc -and the services applet pops up, listing in detail, what is running and what is not.

Open up a browser window, and navigate to this site- Process Library -anything that you don't recognize, or don't understand, can be searched at that site, and if you don't find it there, use Google like in this example- intitle:aspnet_state.exe -(that example is in the Proc Lib. by the way)

Hope this helps,

nos :thumbsup:
When I'm right, I'm right....
And when I'm wrong, I could have been right....
So I'm still right, cause I could have been wrong.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users