Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

NTLDR is missing

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 MsYvaine

MsYvaine

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:55 PM

Posted 07 April 2012 - 07:34 PM

hello,

and thanks first of all to whoever is about to help me out now.

Ive got an Asus EEE pc series and the NTLDR is missing. I have no idea how to make the notebook working again as it doesnt have a cd drive or xp boot disc.
Any idea what shall i do to make it working again.

OK, now its working, but there are a lot of changes to my computer:
no wifi working
missing drivers-plugins
for some reason it wants to usea dialup connection and the wifi flash is not working at all, any idea why?
also i couldnt finish the repair, i couldnt copy the files as the machine doesnt even see the usb stick, i mean the contents

thanks a lot!

Edited by MsYvaine, 07 April 2012 - 08:49 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bludgard

bludgard

• Members
  • 934 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:55 PM

Posted 07 April 2012 - 11:50 PM

To restore the machine to "out of box" condition:
Boot the machine and press F2 to enter BIOS.
Disable boot booster. Save settings and exit.
Press F9 while booting to reach recovery options.

#3 MsYvaine

MsYvaine
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2012 - 08:31 AM

hi

thanks for your reply, i only have a small issue: there is no boot booster, what i can see on the screen are the followings:

boot device priority
hard disk drives
boot settings configuration

onboard LAN boot ROM (disabled)
and here is nothing where the boot booster should be :(

any idea what i should do next?

btw, i was already wondering to reinstall win xp on it, could i do that from a usb stick?
is there any smaller os than win xp? linux or something else, as xp eats up the 70% of the memory which is not big at all

thanks guys!

#4 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:55 PM

Posted 08 April 2012 - 02:02 PM

Hi MsYvaine,

• What is the specific model number of your Asus EEE pc?
  • i couldnt finish the repair, i couldnt copy the files as the machine doesnt even see the usb stick, i mean the contents

If I understand correctly, the computer no longer gives the "NTLDR is missing" message and boots to windows, albeit with new problems. Could you gives us a little more detail about "the repair" you mentioned above.
  • Does your Asus EEE pc have a Support DVD?
  • When in BIOS, did you explore "boot settings configuration" for boot booster?

Regards,
Brooks

#5 MsYvaine

MsYvaine
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2012 - 07:57 PM

Artrooks,

thanks for your reply and let me take the chance to clarify loads of stuff as i was rather panicing instead of focusing.
Here is the sequence of waht happened and more information that i guess you badly need in order to be able to help.

I got this laptop second hand only a couple of days ago and want to use it for only basics: video playing, web browsing and skype.

I am not sure about its specific type, but know some info: has 2GB memory, 512 RAM, 800 MHz processor, it was loaded with win xp SP3, i think its Asus EEE PcSeries 2GB Surfer - as these came out in green and mine is green
there is no cd-rom in it, but 3 usb slots and an SD card

1. When i got it, i started to use it and realised that while browsing the net it was trying to connect via a dial-up connection, even though i set it up it kept changing back to off-line mode, i set the wireless broadband connection as default and it kept on forgeting what i set, could manage to browse, but sometimes it lost connection and wanted me to dial-up
2. a win message started to pop-up saying it was short on virtual memory
3. i tried to remove all unnecessary programmes and set some memory free
while doing it i used a software that did say the warning that if i delete those (unused)files it may cause problems, especially if they were windows files
4. that was the time when i deleted the NTLDR
5. following the troubleshooting page from here i loaded the files on a usb and got it working once, could boot windows
6. i tried to copy the files (as the last step says) after a while it worked (first the computer was asking for a driver to be installed to see the files, somehow i managed to get the contents of the usb stick)
7. while in win i couldnt get online as the wi-fi was not working, the light was not even flashing and i did try to switch it on and off and back on (i mean pressing the button for it)
8. restarted and now the message says that NTLDR is compressed and press ctrl ald del
in BIOS i couldnt find disable boot booster, there is no such option
here are the options all the info what i can see in BIOS
MAIN:
ASUS 700x ACPI BIOS revision 0404
core version: 0404
build date: 03.12.09
ec firmware version: epo-089

Processor:
type: intel ® Celeron ® M processor
count: 1

system memory
installed size: 512

system time and date

ADVANCED
Warning: setting wrong values ...
IDE configuration
onboard devices configuration

SECURITY
security settings
supervisor password - not installed
user password - not installed
change psswd

BOOT
Boot device priority
hard disk drives
boot settings configuration
onboard LAN boot ROM - disabled
(and here is wehre boot booster should be...?)

EXIT
standard options

thats where i am right now
so answering your question, yes, when i could load win there were other problems, after rebooting twice the compressed NTLDR message came up im stuck here.
EDIT:
2. the repair process that i followed: http://tinyempire.com/notes/ntldrismissing.htm
3. no DVD, no cd, no nothing as i got it with a charger, but the license key is still visible for win xp at the bottom
4. yes i did and it says:
quick boot - enabled (twice)
FYI i do not have any data on it, so if reinstalling an OS is the best solution i am happy to do that - as long as it could be done from a flash drive and is small (also i would higly appreciate assistance in it)

thanks a lot
Yv

Edited by MsYvaine, 08 April 2012 - 08:10 PM.

#6 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2012 - 10:28 PM

Any chance that the previous owner received a Windows XP Home Edition Installation CD with this netbook? It would be nice to have it because we could probably perform a fresh Windows install via USB. From what I see, the hard drive is only 2 Gbs in size. Much to small to have a hidden restore partition. I'm even amazed that Windows XP would run on this system.

If there is no Windows Installation CD, your options are somewhat limited.
  • Attempt to access and repair your present XP.
  • Purchase the XP Installation Disk from Asus.
  • Install a small Linux distro.

We'll start with Option 1:
Using the bootable USB Flash drive you previously made, try the various options,1-10 and see if you can boot into Windows again.
Let me know if Option 1 works.

If you can successfully access Windows, I will have you turn off Drive Compression and then verify that the critical boot files are present by following these instructions:
  • Double click on "My Computer", either on your Desktop or Start Menu,
  • Right mouse click on Drive C:, select "Properties,"and uncheck "Compress drive to save space."
  • While on the Properties screen, look to see how much free space the drive has, then click OK to close the window.
  • Double click on Drive C:, select "Tools" from the top menu then click "Folder Options." Click the "View" tab.
  • Click "Show hidden files and folders" and uncheck "Hide extensions for known file types" and uncheck "Hide protected operating system files." Click OK to any prompts, then "Apply" and OK" to exit.
  • Verify the boot.ini, NTDETECT.COM, and ntldr are present under Drive C:. If any are missing, copy them from USB drive.
  • Double click on the boot.ini file in Drive C:. Are there 10 options under [Operating systems] or just one?

What I need to know:
  • Can you get the Windows Installation CD that may have come with the netbook?
  • Were you able to boot back into Windows with USB drive?
  • If so did Option 1 work?
  • Are the three boot files present under Drive C:?
  • Number of [operating systems] listed in boot.ini file.

Regards,
Brooks

#7 MsYvaine

MsYvaine
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2012 - 06:20 PM

hi,

thanks for the quick reply

Unfortunately there is no chance to get a cd from the previous owner and... neither would i buy it from asus as this one is still there (if im not mistaken)
Also, it may be only me, but i cant see how a DVD or CD would help me, as there is no CD driver in it to place and run the CD.
Im just wondering...could i just download an xp, make it bootable from a usb stick and copy it on one and then load it from the usb?

About the instructions:
ever since there is the message saying "NTLDR is compressed, press crtl alt del" i am stuck. I dont know how to get back to the screen that says the options. I dont know how to access windows again after this new message.
(If it was malware or spyware im kinda ok, but when its about bios and booting im a dummy, im sorry.)
FYI: when i did succeed in accessing windows it was option 2 that worked for me.

Can you please guide me with this

Using the bootable USB Flash drive you previously made, try the various options,1-10 and see if you can boot into Windows again.
Let me know if Option 1 works.

I mean, how to get to the options again...

About option 3 - installing a linux distro
I am happy to do that, im only wondering if linux os are meant to suplement another one and if it was the only os would it work fine?
thank you

#8 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2012 - 08:37 PM

Hello,

Unfortunately there is no chance to get a cd from the previous owner and... neither would i buy it from asus as this one is still there (if im not mistaken)

It is indeed. All we need to do is access it.

i cant see how a DVD or CD would help me, as there is no CD driver in it to place and run the CD.

There are free programs available that can copy the neccessary files from a Windows Installation CD/DVD to a flash drive and make that flash drive bootable. A bootable flash drive will work on your system.

could i just download an xp, make it bootable from a usb stick and copy it on one and then load it from the usb?

You can't legally download Windows XP. The registration key on the sticker of your netbook will only work with an OEM ASUS Windows Installation Disk.

how to get to the options again...

Try to boot the computer using the USB flash drive that you previously made by following these instructions:
  • Turn the computer off, insert the flash drive, and power on.
  • Press the ESC key as the computer powers on. (If I read correctly, this should bring up a "Boot Menu")
  • Select the USB flash drive and press <Enter>. If all works as I suspect, you will see the screen with 10 choices.
  • Choose option 2 if that worked before. If Windows boots, then follow the instructions in my previous post.
  • You are going to turn off Drive Compression, determine amount of free space on drive C:, and make sure that all three boot files are present in C:.

Regards,
Brooks

#9 MsYvaine

MsYvaine
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2012 - 06:56 AM

thanks for the step by step guide
i managed to get back to windows and did what you said
meanwhile there were some minor problems:
an error message showed sometimes saying error at the application of attributes at these files:
olebd32.dll
olebd32r.dll
skype.exe
schedlgu.txt
windows/apppatch/acadproc.dll
/acgeneral.dll
pchealth/pchealth/pchsvc.dll
windows/prefetch/acu.exe-16efbb5a.pf
acu.ece-0c51182c.pf
/boost-speed setup.exe-229becc1.pf
/boost-speed-setup.tmp-25ad9dee.pf
.tmp-34a61eco.pf
.tmp-01ddcd54.pf
cclleaner.exe-0bce437.pf
ccsetup317.exe-00810439
control.exe-013dbfb5.pf
windows/...defrag.exe-273f131e.pf
/...drgntfs.exe-269967df.pf
discdefrag.exe-18bfa80b.pf
duplicatefilefinder.exe-37c6a026.pf
findunused.exe-21d0adc2.pf
-31b24f51.pf
flashplayerupdatteservice.exe-34bc5027.pf
helpctr.exe-3862b6f5.pf
helpsvc.exe-2878dda2.pf
iexplore.exe-27122324.pf
igfxrvc.exe-2fb63fe8.pf
inscc.tmp-07037838.pf
internetoptimizer.ece.3b5f2c26.pf
prefetch/layout.ini
logonui.exe-0af22957.pf
msiexec.exe-2f8a8cae.pf
notepad.exe-336351a9.pf
system32/acs.exe
system32/activeds.dll
/actxprxy.dll

and a lot more, im sorry, cannot put them all down, but roughly some 100 error messages came up

could not access these files as another application was using them or access was denied

Free space: 139 MB (lol)
before it was some 600MB

there are all 3 files present under C: and in boot.ini there are all the 10 options, but it starts with option 2 then 1,3,4...

EDIT: Ive just realized that i had deleted the atheros software as well, the one that controls the wi-fi system :S

Edited by MsYvaine, 10 April 2012 - 07:02 AM.

#10 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2012 - 08:56 AM

Will Windows start normally (without the flash drive)?

Regards,
Brooks

#11 MsYvaine

MsYvaine
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2012 - 09:32 AM

no, it is once again saying that NTLDR is compressed

#12 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2012 - 02:28 PM

As stated on the repair site you used: http://tinyempire.com/notes/ntldrismissing.htm under Step 6:
"If you copy the file over and boot up and get a "NTLDR is compressed" error message, be sure to uncheck "compress contents to save space" on the hard drive."
Since you have already tried this without success, we need a Plan B.

The NTLDR file must still be compressed. Normally this can be dealt with by running the Windows XP Recovery Console; however, you don't have the XP Installation Disk. Do you know anyone who has a Windows XP Home Edtion Installation CD that you might be able to borrow?

In the mean time let's try to create a USB bootable Linux flash drive - Plan B. The plan will be to boot the computer with Linux, copy the NTLDR file from the hard drive to the flash drive and then back to the hard drive. Because the flash drive's format (fat32) can not support compression, the file should uncompress. You will then copy the uncompressed file back to the hard drive thus over writing the original compressed file. Plan B also gives you a chance to see what Puppy Linux looks like.

Start Plan B:
On a computer with internet access, start by downloading Lucid Puppy Linux (132 MB) from here or here and save it to your Desktop. Be patient, It may take 30 minutes or more to download.

Next download Rufus_v1.1.7.exe to your Desktop.

• Plug the USB flash drive into the computer.
  • Double click Rufus_v1.1.7.exe to start the program. It should automatically find the flash drive (under Device-at top).
  • Click the icon to the right of MSDOS: Posted Image and locate the Lupu-528.005.iso file on your Desktop, click "Open," and then "Start."
  • Click "OK" to the warning that all data on the flash drive will be deleted.
  • When the file copying completes, click "Close."
  • Next, insert the flash drive into the netbook computer, power on, and press ESC key for the boot menu. Boot from flash drive.
  • Puppy Linux should load automatically. At the Desktop, you should hear a dog bark if your audio is recognized. Click "OK" to close the Personalize Settings window. Close any other windows that might pop-up (such as Simple Network Setup, etc).
  • Note the icons, bottom left, above the Menu button. They represent each drive on your computer. (you will probably see only one hard drive and one flash drive icon)

Posted Image
  • Unlike Windows, in Puppy you only have to mouse click once on an icon to open it.
  • Find your system hard drive by exploring the hard drive icons ("hda" or "sda"). You should see the NTLDR file.
  • Click on the flash drive icon to open that window. The windows can be moved by left mouse clicking on the top edge and dragging. Arrange the two windows, one on top of the other.
  • Drag the NTLDR file from the hard drive window to the flash drive window and select "copy." Because you are moving a compressed file to a media that doesn't support compression, you may receive a message of some sort (i'm not sure what). Click "yes" to procede.
  • Now drag the NTLDR file back to the hard drive and select copy. Close both windows.
  • To "Exit" Puppy Linux, click "Menu," "Shutdown," and "Reboot."
  • You will be presented with a screen asking to save any personal settings. Arrow over to "Do Not Save" and press <Enter>. The system will reboot. See if it boots normally.

Regards,
Brooks

#13 bludgard

bludgard

• Members
  • 934 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:55 PM

Posted 10 April 2012 - 05:57 PM

Do you know anyone who has a Windows XP Home Edtion Installation CD that you might be able to borrow?

She can borrow mine.... :santa:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users