Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

VLC Media player question.

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Nawtheasta

Nawtheasta

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:12 AM

Posted 07 April 2012 - 06:48 PM

My teenage son has VLC media player on his computer. A recent update seems to have caused slight screen tearing about 1/4 screen width down from top. I have considered uninstalling and reinstalling to see if this fixes it.
I watched a You tube video on down loading VLC. Pretty basic but during the video I could see that many foistware programs seemed to be trying to piggy back. Even though the You tube poster didn't mention it it appeared that Uniblue Registry booster came along for the ride as it opened after the you tube posters download.
A lot of these type programs were removed from my sons computer went in to the computer shop for a tune up about a month ago. I prefer not to deal with these annoying and unwanted programs.
Can these programs be avoided by carefully declining during installation or do they come through automatically like a piece of malware??
Advice is appreciated.
Best Regards
Nawtheasta

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:12 AM

Posted 08 April 2012 - 04:39 AM

I didn't get any of that during the recent VLC update and they haven't done it in the past.

#3 dnthns87

dnthns87

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2012 - 07:57 AM

In my experience most of them can be declined, this could be done easily with a software firewall like comodo.

Edited by dnthns87, 08 April 2012 - 07:58 AM.

#4 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,307 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2012 - 08:51 AM

This is where you would want to download from to avoid crapware: VideoLAN - Download official VLC media player for Windows

Just to be sure that no malware is hiding, you scan the file after downloading and before installing using the
service here: VirusTotal - Free Online Virus, Malware and URL Scanner
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#5 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2012 - 10:04 AM

Oh so the crapware would have come from download.com or someplace like that, not VideoLan directly.

#6 Nawtheasta

Nawtheasta
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2012 - 06:33 PM

Thanks folks for the feed back.
He has XP SP 3 on his computer but it is about 7 years old.
Maybe the new updates are starting to be set up for newer computers and his internal speeds are causing it.
Thanks buddy215. I will re-download from the site you advise before installing.
I put ESET on his computer last year so that will probably stop any true malware but the foistware is what I am concerned with as it is just annoying trying to get it out of the system.

#7 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,307 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2012 - 07:11 PM

I doubt that is the problem as VLC currently supports Windows XP SP2, Vista and 7.

If after reinstalling and the problem still exists, I suggest checking temps/ cleaning.
7 years is a good life span. Could be almost anything or a combo of things causing the problem.

Please let us know what happens after reinstall.

EDIT: Older versions are available for download, too.
Index of /pub/videolan/vlc/

Edited by buddy215, 08 April 2012 - 08:03 PM.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#8 Capn Easy

Capn Easy

• Members
  • 597 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2012 - 10:16 PM

I have an old IBM ThinkCentre running Windows XP SP3 and no problems. I downloaded and got my updates from the VLC site. I remember declining a couple toolbars/crapwares, but not excessive and no problems. None showed up after setting up.

Just have to be careful aboutanything that is pre-checked, these days.

#9 access2godzila

access2godzila

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2012 - 09:09 AM

You should have got VLC from http://www.videolan.org/vlc/download-windows.html

Versions upto 2.0.1 have been without foistware, and the VLC authors devs don't consider foistware a good idea.

I think you picked up a copy from somewhere else. Try downloading from the link I gave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users