Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot Enter Safe Mode

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 caballero

caballero

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:32 AM

Posted 22 February 2006 - 12:17 AM

PC restarts after loading all drivers up to the Mup.exe, it stops there then it restarts the computer, the computer boots fine in normal mode, I was trying to defrag it, but the defrag option is not available in normal. There must be some virus or something, can anyone help me with this? Im trying not to reload XP Pro

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:32 AM

Posted 22 February 2006 - 12:23 AM

It's not at Start>Program Files>Accessiores>System Tools>defrag?
Download and burn an image to disk of Ultimate Boot CD. This utility has several antispyware and antivirus bult in. You can also run many utilities from it.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 nosnhoj#3

nosnhoj#3

• Members
  • 245 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:32 AM

Posted 22 February 2006 - 02:27 AM

Hi there,

You say that normal boot works fine, but there is no defrag option? If this is so, you can defrag from the Command Prompt in just a couple steps.

1. Press- Windows Key+R -to open Run Box.

2. Type- cmd -then press enter or click OK. Or you can go through Start-->All Programs-->Accesories-->Command Prompt.

3. When the command prompt opens, type- defrag C:\ /v -this will launch the defrag utility.

OR

Type- defrag C:\ /a -this will analyze the specified volume.

You also may want to check out all of the syntax for this command, but it's not required, type- defrag /?

Finnaly, if you want to save a log file for the defragmentation, type this- defrag C:\ /a >yourfile.txt OR defrag C:\ /v >yourfile.txt -where "yourfile.txt" is, add the name of the file you wish to save the log to.

NOTE: If C:\ is not the volume you wish to defragment, then just add the appropriate Drive letter such as- D:\ -for example.

Hope this helps,

nos :thumbsup:
When I'm right, I'm right....
And when I'm wrong, I could have been right....
So I'm still right, cause I could have been wrong.

#4 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:32 AM

Posted 22 February 2006 - 05:21 PM

Odd that you wouldn't have the defrag option. You go to My Computer and right-click on the C: drive, then choose properties, then the tools tab, right?

Quite often, I have found that the reason that a computer will not start in Safe Mode is that InCD, a component of Nero used for handling dragging and dropping of files to CDs is causing the problem. Go to Nero's website and download a patch for InCD. You need the patch for your particular version. If this does not work, it could be malware that's preventing your starting in Safe Mode.

It wouldn't hurt to run System File Checker, either. You need to have your OS disk available, and open a command window by going to Start -> Run and type in cmd and hit enter. Then type SFC /Scannow

Make sure there's a space before the slash. It will check to make sure all operating system files are correct. If it needs to replace one (or more) the disk will have to be in the drive to get the files from.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users