Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

SSD - OCZ vs Patriot Pyro SE

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 jimlau

jimlau

• Members
  • 112 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:37 AM

Posted 07 April 2012 - 10:38 AM

Is there anyway for me to know which of the following 120GB SSD's is better? They are the same price:

1) OCZ Agility 3 AGT3-25SAT3-120G 2.5" 120GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

2) Patriot Pyro SE PPSE120GS25SSDR 2.5" 120GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,946 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:37 AM

Posted 07 April 2012 - 10:59 AM

For normal use, they are pretty much identical because they both use the same 2nd generation SandForce controller. Probably the exact same firmware.

Here's a review of the Patriot's performance where they put it up against an OCZ Vertex 3 (which is almost identical in performance to the Agility 3).

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/storage/display/patriot-pyro-se.html

James

Edited by NeverSayDie, 07 April 2012 - 11:00 AM.

#3 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2012 - 11:59 AM

As James said they are basically the same drive.

However the user reviews
for the Patriot look better, 86% 5 Eggs
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820220624&Tpk=PPSE120GS25SSDR

For the OCZ, 57% 5 Eggs
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227726&Tpk=AGT3-25SAT3-120G

It would appear that the Patriot drive has better build quality. a 29% jump in the ratings.

For comparison the Samsung 128Gb SSD
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820147163

Good Luck
Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#4 jimlau

jimlau
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 112 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2012 - 01:52 PM

thanks.

i will have my SSD holding thousands of small audio files that need to be read quickly. is reading those static lists of files comsidered sequential or random?

also, if i have a 60GB SSD that contains these groups of files, and there will be NO writing on this drive, is it ok to fill it up, say 90%?

#5 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2012 - 02:10 PM

MY feeling is that it doesn't matter since there are no spinning platters, and no read/write heads moving around or waiting for the data to arrive.

There is no need to defrag since the file access stays the same.
Also take note that a larger drive may perform better.

90% in that case should be fine. Just read the user reviews.

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/

167 @ June 2015

#6 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,946 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:37 AM

Posted 07 April 2012 - 02:55 PM

Hi Jimlau

I didn't realize it was you posting here :)

For your situation you probably want something using that 2nd generation SandForce controller since it is very reliable as opposed to some of the better performing customized firmware on the other controllers.

You want to look at the various 'random reads' data for comparing which is best for you. Almost all the SandForce based drives will be very similar for this benchmark.

Filling the drive and then mainly reading from it is fine. It is erasing and writing that affect the lifetime of the drive most.

James

#7 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:37 PM

Posted 08 April 2012 - 02:08 AM

I am usually reluctant to buy a OCZ SSD because of their firmware.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#8 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2012 - 12:53 PM

Hi Jimlau

I didn't realize it was you posting here :)

For your situation you probably want something using that 2nd generation SandForce controller since it is very reliable as opposed to some of the better performing customized firmware on the other controllers.

You want to look at the various 'random reads' data for comparing which is best for you. Almost all the SandForce based drives will be very similar for this benchmark.

Filling the drive and then mainly reading from it is fine. It is erasing and writing that affect the lifetime of the drive most.

James

I think I'd still be tempted to get the Intel 520 series with the sandforce controller mainly for the 5 year warranty and the decent benchmarks.

The last review I saw mentioned that the 180 & 240Gb were faster than the smaller and larger drives.

Best Regards
Roger

Edited by rotor123, 09 April 2012 - 12:54 PM.

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users