Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Looking to upgrade

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 BillnRinggold

BillnRinggold

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:20 PM

Posted 07 April 2012 - 09:28 AM

I'm looking to upgrade and any help will be greatly appreciated.

I'm pretty much a "gadget freak" and the "latest technology" type with the exception of my work computer. I trailer/office (next to my home) with four primary uses - a company database application written in Corel Paradox - MS Money - MS Outlook 2010 - Internet searchs and MS Word. Since until recently, Paradox didn't run well on Windows 7, I was restricted to a XP Machine. Now Corel has updated Paradox and my partner has had great success running it on Win7 - so I'm ready to upgrade to a Win7 based computer.

For years I have upgraded my work machine approximately every three years but restricted the new machine to older technology. This time I'd like to jump over the older stuff and go to a i7 processor. I would also like to go to a All-In-One machine with a flexible budget of $1200.00. Since finding a new machine is considerably easier if I lose the i7 requirement, am I really going to notice the difference between i5 and i7?

I've been searching for a few days but each machine I like comes up short.

Here are my favorites, so far:

• 23" Samsung (DP700A3B-A02US $1,100) looks like a winner but I can't find it in a i7 - I have found it in a i5; is there a significant difference? Also, I have never owned a Samsung computer any thoughts?
  • 27" HP (Omni 220-1180qd $1,460) when moving up to the i7 is very pricey - This looks like a new offering from HP and will probably drop in price in a few months. Moving up to the i7 and a few little options prices this machine at $260 over budget which is affordable but not desirable.
  • 27" ASUS (ET2700INKS-B062C $1,450) has no reviews that I could find and is $250 over budget. This looks more like an All in One entertainment set.

I'm not stuck on a All-in-One if there is a substantially better idea (or a lot cheaper).

Also (big also!) the most distasteful part of a hardware upgrade, for me, is migrating the software to the new machine - particularly when I can't find the old disks. I wonder if anyone can recommend a software application that moves data and programs to a new machine relatively easy?

Thanks in advance,

Bill

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:20 PM

Posted 08 April 2012 - 02:38 AM

The tasks you mentioned are basic and are not demanding, so a i7 is not necessary. The Samsung AIO with the i5 is better suited for your budget and uses.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#3 BillnRinggold

BillnRinggold
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:20 PM

Posted 08 April 2012 - 07:32 AM

Michael:

Thanks for the reply. If you can, please clear this up - are you recommending the Samsung because it's a better machine? I ask this because if I drop down to the i5 the other two computers are at that same price point.

Also, (for anybody) I was in a Best Buy yesterday and the Geek Squad supervisor said that moving programs to a new machine can't be done (without the disks). He said they could move the data (so can I) but there isn't anything out there that will move the programs. To me, this is always the hardest part of an upgrade and I'm not sure that I have all the disks - I know I don't have MS Money.

Thanks,

Bill

#4 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:20 PM

Posted 08 April 2012 - 08:55 AM

I am recommending it because it is more then capable of accomplishing your tasks and Samsung makes some reliable computers. It's usually better to fresh install the program into a new computer.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#5 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:20 PM

Posted 09 April 2012 - 02:33 PM

Hi,
My take on All In One computers is run as fast and as far away as you can.

They are pretty
compact
not very upgradable
Expensive to fix.

From what I've seen

If the motherboard goes bad to expensive to fix. Throw it away
If the screen goes bad ditto

Many are built using at least some laptop parts

You would be better served getting a HP or Dell business model

They have business models where the computer is mounted behind the screen. With that setup either can be easily replaced.

There are three dells on this page for example.
http://www.dell.com/us/business/p/desktops-n-workstations?~ck=mn#!facets=116823~0~3611731&p=1

Their I5 model was $1049 US
Just my take on things.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users