Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PC Wakes But Monitors Don't

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Snason

Snason

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:54 AM

Posted 07 April 2012 - 08:37 AM

This problem started a few months ago when I updated the video drivers on my NVIDIA card. What happens is that when the pc goes to sleep, either by my command or after timing out for inactivity, the pc will wake up when prompted by mouse or keyboard, but the monitors don't. I know the pc wakes because when tapping on keys or clicking the mouse button I will occasionally hear pings from the pc. I'm not convinced that the problem is NVIDIA's, but this does coincide with an updated driver of theirs.

Ultimately, in order to get my machine working again I have to press the power button and restart cold. Also, and I'm not sure if this is worth noting, upon cold start, my Kaspersky and clock gadgets, which are normally placed in the upper-right corner of the right monitor, display in the left monitor somewhere off-center.

I'm diligent with keeping drivers updated, but I really have no idea what to do now. I'll post the stuff that may be relevant:

Logitech wireless mouse M310 (unified w/ keyboard)
Logitech wireless Solar keyboard K750 (unified w/ mouse)
(2) LG monitors E2050
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460 video card

Windows 7 Home Premium (service pack 1)
64-bit OS
AMD Phenom II x4 945 processor 3.00 GHz
8.00 GB ram

Thanks for any guidance on this problem, and happy Easter.

Edited by hamluis, 07 April 2012 - 11:42 AM.
Moved from Am I Infected to Win 7.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:54 AM

Posted 07 April 2012 - 03:58 PM

roll back the nvida drivers in device manager ,stop using hibernat/sleep mode .not really a necessary function anyway

My answers are my opinion only,usually

#3 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,094 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2012 - 04:05 PM

Hi
Just my opinion but if they are working fine I do not update drivers. I go by the old story of
If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Nvidia is just one company among many that has been known to release drivers that cause problems.

I agree with caperjac, If you don't like the screen showing just set the computer to turn off the screen and not hibernate or sleep. Those functions have been problematic for many years. One little driver update and they can have problems.

Happy Easter

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#4 Snason

Snason
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2012 - 07:15 PM

Thank you both for the replies. I have turned off the sleep function, and we'll see how that works.

#5 Snason

Snason
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2012 - 06:35 PM

Well, it's been a couple days and switching the power setting so that the system never goes to sleep certainly works. Although it's not a fix to the problem but a work-around, I'll take it. I wonder how much more energy my pc eats by not sleeping?

#6 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:54 AM

Posted 09 April 2012 - 07:29 PM

you won't go broke paying the difference ,i have never used hibernation ,had a computer since 1996, if you are really worried do what i do ,if i suspect im not going to use the computer for a few hrs ,i turn it off

Edited by caperjac, 09 April 2012 - 07:29 PM.

My answers are my opinion only,usually

#7 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:54 PM

Posted 09 April 2012 - 07:59 PM

you won't go broke paying the difference ,i have never used hibernation ,had a computer since 1996, if you are really worried do what i do ,if i suspect im not going to use the computer for a few hrs ,i turn it off

Same here -
If I go out of the house for an hour or more, I shut down the system and internet fully, at the wall.
Never used Sleep or Hibernate as I think the system is still running (using some power) in the background (same on the laptop) -

Maybe I don't understand these functions fully, but I feel safer and more secure with everything always off -

Just my view -

#8 Snason

Snason
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2012 - 09:32 PM

If I go out of the house for an hour or more, I shut down the system and internet fully, at the wall.

What do you mean by "at the wall"? Do you unplug or just shut it down?

#9 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:54 PM

Posted 09 April 2012 - 10:30 PM

What do you mean by "at the wall"? Do you unplug or just shut it down?

I turn the wall plug switch off and unplug my laptop when it is not being used, as I rarely use the battery at home, only when out -

This also includes internet modem and both computers I am using at the moment. It boots in a few mins as I make a coffee -

If I am leaving the house for more than 2 days, then the plug is also removed from the wall for the desktop unit -

Just my personal habits that I always have followed -
EDIT - I have no current phone service hooked to my internet, so this is not a concern -

Edited by noknojon, 09 April 2012 - 10:35 PM.

#10 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,094 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2012 - 09:54 AM

I always shut down and switch off the power strip(s)
The strips plug into the UPS. The Computer plugs into one
The EHDs plugs into one so I can pull the AC there
Same with the Media player and it's EHDs. Power strip and remove AC when not using it.

Another reason to shut down. http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic449398.html/page__p__2659039#entry2659039

A new variant of the Malware Protection ransomware has been released

From Here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic449398.html/page__view__findpost__p__2659039

From what we know, those infected are directly hacked by the malware author.

Good Luck
Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users