Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

swapping hard drives (not a connotation)

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Muffalugagus

Muffalugagus

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:19 PM

Posted 07 April 2012 - 06:21 AM

This is a piece of junk, (compaq presario AMD-E350 1.6 GHZ -3GB RAM) it's new & slow just opening Firefox; so I'm thinking of pulling the hard drive & putting it in an older computer. What problems could I expect? The drivers for chipset, etc are stored in the bios on the motherboard right? And I would be using the onboard vga for the graphics; so I should be able to just swap the hard drives & get with it, right?

TIA !

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2012 - 04:43 PM

The drivers are always loaded into windows and not the bios.

The windows on the hard drive would most likely only blue screen due to the hardware being different.

You need to do a little research on how to move a windows to different hardware. There are processes but they require the donor computer to be working.

Good luck
Roger

Edited by rotor123, 08 April 2012 - 08:26 AM.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#3 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2012 - 11:36 PM

If all you want to do is to repurpose the hard drive, you may want to format the drive before moving it to another PC. Drivers and the operating system may be on the old drive and could cause problems if the computer is old and tries to boot from it.

3939.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users