Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dell Laptop Inspiron 1545

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Sefket

Sefket

• Members
  • 155 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:21 PM

Posted 06 April 2012 - 07:26 PM

My hard drive crashed it seems like. It made random sounds like you're at a Carnival and something in blue came up for tests. I have the CD"s that came with the computer. I put the CD in for the Drivers and Utilities and I get this:

Posted Image

What do I do?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:21 PM

Posted 06 April 2012 - 10:14 PM

Hello Sefket,

My hard drive crashed it seems like. It made random sounds like you're at a Carnival and something in blue came up for tests.

That doesn't sound good. It would make sense to first run the built in Dell Diagnostics.

• Restart the computer.
  • When the DELL™ logo appears, press <F12> immediately.
  • Select Diagnostics from the boot menu and press <Enter>.
  • I don't know what the menu looks like as I don't own a Dell, but run all hardware diagnostics, especially hard drive and report any errors.
Here is your Dell Manual for reference: http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/ins1545/en/SG/F123HA01MR.pdf. (PDF)
Dell Diagnostics Page 39.

Regards,
Brooks

#3 Sefket

Sefket
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 155 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2012 - 11:24 PM

http://img205.imageshack.us/img205/5733/photo0090z.jpg

#4 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2012 - 08:55 AM

I can only read half the message, but it looks as if there is a problem with the hard drive.

"ERROR CODE 2000-0146" See: Dell Error Code List

Arrow down to PSA+ 2000-0146 - DST Log contains previous error(s). - and then click the "Link to Fix."

• "Remove and reinstall the Hard Drive for the error codes: (includes your error code above)"
  • I think that they just want you to remove the hard drive and then plug it back in then re-run the hard drive diagnostic.
  • Remove A/C line cord and laptop battery first. No need to remove the drive from the hard drive cage. (see how to remove hard drive).
  • If you get the same error code after re-running diagnostics and the computer is still under warranty, contact Dell; otherwise, you are probably looking at a new hard drive.
Do you have files on this computer that you would like to rescue?

Regards,
Brooks

#5 Sefket

Sefket
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 155 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2012 - 01:50 PM

I posted this on Dell forums to and it seems I need a new hard drive. I purchased a new one and waiting for it to arrive at my house.

Thanks for helping!

#6 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2012 - 04:13 PM

As long as you have the installation DVDs you should be in fine shape. :)

Good luck.

Regards,
Brooks

#7 Sefket

Sefket
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 155 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2012 - 08:40 PM

It came with my laptop when I got around two years ago. They told me that is what I need to install the computer again with the new hard drive. Do you know any YouTube video or something that can show me how to install my Operating System easy?

#8 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2012 - 09:55 PM

Here is: Dell Windows 7 Manual Reinstall as a reference.

Do you have any files on the corrupted hard drive that you would like to backup if that were possible?

Regards,
Brooks

#9 Sefket

Sefket
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 155 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2012 - 10:28 PM

Possibility, yes.

#10 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2012 - 09:17 AM

Recovering Data: Depending on what's wrong with the hard drive, these options may or may not work.

Option 1: Obtain a 2.5" to 3.5" hard drive adapter
, remove your hard drive from laptop, hard drive cage, and connect to a working computer to off load data.

Option 2: Create an alternate operating system "Live CD" to off load data to a USB Flash drive.
  • Download GETxPUD.exe (64 mb) (hosted and compiled by noahdfear) to your Desktop.
  • Double click GETxPUD.exe to extract the files to a folder of the same name.
  • Open the GETxPUD folder and double click "get&burn." This will download "xpud_0.9.2.iso" to that folder and open an included CD burning program called BurnCDCC (may be minimized to the taskbar).
  • When the download completes, click on the "BurnCDCC" icon in the taskbar. Click "Start," insert blank recordable CD, and let BurnCDCC create the bootable CD.
  • Restart the ailing computer with the bootable CD (set the computer to boot first from CDROM drive).
  • When xPud loads you will see a "Welcome to xPUD" screen.
  • Click "File" from left menu and under "File System" click the triangle next to "mnt" and find your system hard drive (hda or sda). Note, if you plug a Flash drive in you will see it there also (sbd1).
  • You can navigate to your "My Documents" folder by clicking "Users," "<your user name>, "My Documents."
  • Copy the folder/files you wish to save by right mouse clicking and "Save," then pasting them into the flash drive (same as windows).
  • To "Exit" xPUD, click "HOME" from left menu, "Power Off," and "Restart."

Regards,
Brooks

#11 Sefket

Sefket
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 155 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2012 - 09:49 PM

Thank you!