Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unable to do Startup Repair

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 JamesRF

JamesRF

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:48 AM

Posted 06 April 2012 - 07:22 PM

Hey everyone, this is my first thread on this forum but I'm pretty good with computers. I've never had this come up before and need some help.

I've got a laptop I'm trying to fix. Usually it would be an easy fix, just put my handy Dell cd and reinstall the OS. This isn't possible since the cd/dvd player is broken. So, I tried creating a falcon four bootable usb drive, and that wont boot. It keeps saying "remove all media and restart" no matter what BIOS options I change. I've tried a couple of different methods to get it to boot, and nothing has worked. I've tried different programs to create a MBR for the usb drive, and still nothing.

I also cannot get into startup repair at all. It boots to a login screen with "Other User" but no matter what username/password combo I try it will not allow me to login. I've even taken out the hard drive and put it into an external case and scanned it for viruses, but it still will not load windows or the repair partition. I'm completely stuck as to where to go from here.

Edited by JamesRF, 06 April 2012 - 07:23 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:48 AM

Posted 06 April 2012 - 09:45 PM

Hi JamesRF,

You stated that you have a Dell Installation DVD but the DVD drive is broken. Is this DVD for the system you are working on?

Have you tried WintoFlash?
If not, download under "Latest Version" from 2nd or 3rd download link.
Extract the zip file and run "WintoFlash.exe."
Basically, it will make a USB Flash drive bootable and copy the Windows setup files to Flash drive.

Regards,
Brooks

#3 JamesRF

JamesRF
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2012 - 10:07 PM

That looks like a really cool program but I haven't been able to get the laptop to boot from usb thus far. I'll give it a try though and report back...

#4 JamesRF

JamesRF
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2012 - 07:55 PM

Artrooks,

WintoFlash worked 100% without flaw! I was able to create a bootable copy of my Dell restore cd, boot to it, and fully reinstall Vista. Thank you very much for the help. I'll be donating to WTF very soon!

#5 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:48 AM

Posted 09 April 2012 - 09:06 AM

I'm glad that it worked for you. :thumbsup:

Regards,
Brooks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users