Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

booting problem

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 kamador451

kamador451

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:27 PM

Posted 06 April 2012 - 06:10 PM

I have a desktop, windows 7 ultimate. I now have a problem where when I enter my desktop it starts off completely black HOWEVER the mouse pointer is still there and can still move.

After a few minutes the desktop taskbar pops up but it doesn't respond and stays like this. It's at this point where i decde to manually shut down my computer.

I can ctrl+alt+delete but the task manager does not appear.

I can enter safe mode.

What do I do now?I am at a lost?

it might be a virus. It might be a driver problem but I didn't do any updates and I didn't do anything different.

Edited by kamador451, 06 April 2012 - 06:13 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:27 AM

Posted 06 April 2012 - 06:43 PM

Hi -
I noticed that you tried to access Safe Mode. Does the issue occur in Safe Mode??

Also, please open Control Panel >> Backup and Restore >> Recover system settings or your computer >> Open System Restore >> follow the wizard to restore the system to the state before the issue occurred (example being last week) -

If the issue persists, please perform the steps below to add explorer.exe process.

1. Press Ctrl+Shift+Esc on the keyboard to bring up Task Manager.
2. Click File -> New Task (Run…)
3. Type explorer.exe and then press Enter.

Hope this helps. If not please post back -

(Credit to Microsoft Advice Panel )

#3 kamador451

kamador451
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2012 - 07:23 PM

no this happens when I boot normally. I can go to safe mode just fine; no problems there.

Only when i boot normal does it do it.I can't access anything in normal boot because of this problem

i will try your advice right away. will be back with updates.

Edited by kamador451, 06 April 2012 - 07:31 PM.

#4 kamador451

kamador451
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2012 - 07:48 PM

it didn't work. I put the system back to last week but it still not booting right

#5 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2012 - 07:55 PM

No problems -

A bit more research on my part is required, as I only picked one solution that did work for a few people -
Was there any help with the 1 / 2 / 3 / items at all, or just no response from your system ??

Keep an eye on this, and one of us will repost in a while -

Regards -
EDIT -
Not a virus, just an operating system glitch -

Also can you please post the Make and Model of the computer - Thanks -

Edited by noknojon, 06 April 2012 - 08:00 PM.

#6 kamador451

kamador451
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2012 - 08:36 PM

PROGRESS!

I booted my computer with "last known good configuration" and it booted normally, however it was still slow as a turtle. I have waited several minutes and although they appeared the programs still hasn't started up.

I don't know anything about "last known good configuration" I pressed it because heck gotta try something.Did it do something to my files or programs? is it like system restore(thing that didn't work)?

But I still can't get access to anything. The system doesn't respond what do I do now?

Edited by kamador451, 06 April 2012 - 08:46 PM.

#7 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2012 - 11:53 PM

I don't know anything about "last known good configuration" I pressed it because heck gotta try something.Did it do something to my files or programs? is it like system restore(thing that didn't work)?

Yes it is very similar, except your Operating System basically picks its own "Restore point" that last worked to some extent -

Do you still get the black screen in Normal Mode or is there a screen with your normal Icons and just no response to any actions ??
Now, take your time and reboot again (twice if required), and see if there are any changes or you still need Safe Mode to operate -

Also can you please post the Make and Model of the computer and Laptop or Desktop -
Thanks -

#8 narenxp

narenxp

• BC Advisor
  • 16,371 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2012 - 07:07 AM

Did you try a clean boot?

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310353

I would suggest you to uninstall your antivirus and try to boot into normal mode

good luck

#9 kamador451

kamador451
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2012 - 01:45 PM

still trying to fix the problem. I tried several things to no avail including:

Clean boot with antivirus protection deleted
took out graphics card and second harddive so I have the bare minimum to run computer
low resolution boot from advanced boot menu

Now I am in the process of backing up my data so I can try an install repair.

noknojon, I made my own computer I uploaded the specs. Also, the screen starts out black and after 5 or so minutes the icons starts appearing but they don't respond; then when I try to click on one of them or wait ,the icons disappear and it turns black again. One time it left a "Windows Desktop Manager stopped working" message so i checked online and am now trying a install repair.

I will have a boot log uploaded later

EDIT:
So I tried a startup repair and a repair installation. both didn't work. I am completely stuck

Attached Files

Edited by kamador451, 07 April 2012 - 05:15 PM.

#10 Siryu

Siryu

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:27 PM

Posted 07 April 2012 - 05:38 PM

Maybe it is a problem with one of the Windows Services. Perhaps you can fix the problem by changing something under the Windows Services section in the registry while in safe mode. It might be a pain, but perhaps you can compare your registry with another computer using the same OS and see if there are any essential differences. I think safe mode cuts off some of the services that would normally be active, but the stuff in the registry might be the same.

Edited by Siryu, 07 April 2012 - 05:47 PM.

#11 kamador451

kamador451
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2012 - 05:57 PM

Update:

So I tried all the repairs possible using the "repair my computer" using a windows installation cd but didn't work.

this time when I tried to boot my computer normally this popped up. I can't find any information on it.

Attached Files

• Attached File  Doc1.pdf   56.21KB   2 downloads

#12 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2012 - 06:20 PM

I think safe mode cuts off some of the services that would normally be active, but the stuff in the registry might be the same.

Hi -
This above is correct as Safe mode only uses the services needed to access basic programs and protects your system (hence Safe Mode)
For a quick inside look, Please download Farbar Service Scanner and run it on the computer with the issue.
•Make sure the following options are checked:
  • Internet Services
  • Windows Firewall
  • System Restore
  • Security Center
  • Windows Update
  • Windows Defender
•Press "Scan".
•It will create a log (FSS.txt) in the same directory the tool is run.
•Please copy and paste the log to your reply.

#13 kamador451

kamador451
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2012 - 06:39 PM

ok.
btw I saw searching around and found this. http://www.personalcomputerfixes.com/registry-issues/patch-fix-the-black-screen-of-death-on-windows-7/
the patch didn't work but I was going to try the registry cleaner. Do you think i should do it?

Attached Files

• Attached File  FSS.txt   4.67KB   2 downloads

#14 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2012 - 07:05 PM

I was going to try the registry cleaner. Do you think i should do it?

In a word NO - Any program that claims to "clean the registry" is usually not genuine or may lead to greater problems -
I will not post the full standard reply yet, but there is a long description of the problems that "Registry Cleaners" can cause -

OK, now give me a bit of time to check your scan -

Thank You -

#15 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2012 - 07:19 PM

There are a few services not listed or being protected by Safe Mode, so this should reopen them -
This log will be much longer, so can you please try to Copy / Paste it in your reply as we will then be able to study it -
As the FSS Log is now posted, the scanner and text report can be Right click deleted.

Please download MiniToolBox, save it to your desktop and run it.

Checkmark the following checkboxes:

•Flush DNS
•Report IE Proxy Settings
•Reset IE Proxy Settings
•Report FF Proxy Settings
•Reset FF Proxy Settings
•List content of Hosts
•List IP configuration
•List last 10 Event Viewer log
•List Installed Programs
•List Users, Partitions and Memory size.
•List Minidump Files

Click Go and post the result (Result.txt). A copy of Result.txt will be saved in the same directory the tool is run.

Note: When using "Reset FF Proxy Settings" option Firefox should be closed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users