Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to clone Windows folder only?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Firespike

Firespike

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:45 PM

Posted 06 April 2012 - 05:47 PM

I am looking to make a backup of my computer in the event of a virus or windows folder corruption. Is there a way to clone ONLY the windows folder and have it still bootable. All cloning applications don't seem to have this feature, it's always clone entire drive. My reasoning for just wanting to clone the windows folder is because the image would end up being near 100gigs if I were to do an entire drive clone, I would much rather just clone the OS. I used google, and got nothing since I don't know how I should phrase it. Would creating a recovery disk using paragon be able to do a complete reinstall of windows? I hate how manufacturers don't ship the original install disks anymore...

Sorry I don't know which section this belongs in.

Edit: Moved topic from Vista to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:45 PM

Posted 10 April 2012 - 03:38 PM

Assuming Windows 7 or Vista?

You would need to clone the Windows folder, The Program Files folder, The User folder, several other folders and misc files from the root of C:\

to boot you really need to clone the entire drive. Windows has folders and files everywhere. That is why you don't see a how to do it on the web.

Sorry to deliver bad news
Roger

Edited by rotor123, 10 April 2012 - 03:40 PM.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#3 Firespike

Firespike
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2012 - 06:57 PM

Ah dang, well thanks for informing me Roger! Cheers,

Firespike.

#4 StillXPRro

StillXPRro

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:45 PM

Posted 20 April 2012 - 11:49 PM

You could reduce the size of the primary drive by mocving your data folders to another drive. Data can be backed up separately from the system+programs.

#5 Firespike

Firespike
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2012 - 06:04 PM

Thanks for the idea, I think I've got it all sorted out now. I recently got a hold of some free sata drives (among other things!) :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users