Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unknown Humming That Comes & Goes

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 lemonade

lemonade

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:36 AM

Posted 06 April 2012 - 03:55 PM

Can anyone direct me how to diagnose this? My Dell has recently starting humming at random times, but I haven't really discovered a pattern for what causes it. It may hum while idle or active, but it stops when I turn it off and then back on, then may not have a problem for days at a time. I assume it's the fan? It probably wouldn't bother me so much if it could at least carry a tune.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,131 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:36 AM

Posted 06 April 2012 - 04:01 PM

System model, laptop or desktop?

Louis

#3 lemonade

lemonade
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2012 - 04:37 PM

Desktop. I know I'm ignorant, but how do I find model to tell you? Is it Dimension 4700?

Edited by lemonade, 06 April 2012 - 04:39 PM.

#4 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,488 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:36 AM

Posted 06 April 2012 - 05:14 PM

Hello,

What kind of a hum is it? Does it sound more like reving or a metalic hum? When was the last time you cleaned the dust out of the inside of the case?

Also :welcome: To Bleeping Computer! :)
sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat on Discord too! |

#5 lemonade

lemonade
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2012 - 05:17 PM

The pitch isn't consistent really. It almost sounds like the fan is oscillating at an inconsistent speed. Do I just turn off the computer, remove the case's screws and take a can of air to it?

#6 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,488 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2012 - 05:19 PM

Yeah that sounds like a fan to me, To start of yes turn the machine of and unplug it. Then unscrew the screws and remove the cover, Be sure to touch the side of the case before touching anything inside, so as to prevent static discharge! :) Also the can of air will work perfect. :)
sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat on Discord too! |

#7 lemonade

lemonade
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2012 - 05:20 PM

Okay, I'll try that now & let you know.

#8 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,488 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2012 - 05:22 PM

Ok :)
sigcomp.png 

#9 lemonade

lemonade
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2012 - 05:49 PM

Easter Bunny anyone? Okay, how about dust bunnies? So far it is quiet, so I will see how it goes for the next few days to be sure, since it doesn't hum all the time, BUT I think you solved it for me. Would this possibly have significantly hastened my booting time? I have never had it boot so quickly.

Edit--

Strike that. The noise returned as I was posting this, but I've never had it come back so quickly. It started with an increase in pitch to the humming sound, like a motor or a fan starting.

Edited by lemonade, 06 April 2012 - 05:53 PM.

#10 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,488 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2012 - 07:32 PM

Could be a bearing or motor of a fan going bad. If you can pin point its origin that would help a lot.
sigcomp.png 

#11 lemonade

lemonade
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2012 - 07:42 PM

It is the fan. I'll trade it with one from another Dell. Prior to this thread, I was just afraid to tinker inside the tower and cause damage.

#12 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,488 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2012 - 12:09 PM

Ok sounds good, let me know if that solves it. :)
sigcomp.png 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users