Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

"c:\_restore\logs-)-).) File Or Directory Is Damaged" Message During Scandisk

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 dizzydancingdude

dizzydancingdude

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:58 PM

Posted 21 February 2006 - 07:39 PM

My friend's PC, using Windows ME, wouldn't run scandisk or defrag in normal or safe mode. Finally, in MSDos it started but came up with the message C:\_Restore\Logs-)-).) File or directory is damaged" and it couldn't fix / save to A / skip undo etc and the only option possible was to exit.

Any suggestions as to the cause or solution would be much appreciated!!

Could this be due to a virus which was recently detected?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:58 AM

Posted 22 February 2006 - 08:59 AM

Hello dizzydancingdude and welcome to BC.

If you actually have a folder path that is c:\_restore\logs-)-).) its either a corrupted folder or a result of the virus. Scandisk can't get past the -)-).) as these are not valid. If you can find that _restore folder just delete logs-)-).), if you can. I don't think it is a Windows or program generated folder at all but is in your System Restore folder. If you can rename the logs-)-).) file or folder to remove -)-).) that may work also. Keep it in the recycle bin for a time in case it causes problems for your friend.

You can also look at the scandisk log (found at C:\scandisk.log) for information about this error. Further, if you turn off the "Automatically fix errors" option in scandisk you will likely be able to complete the scan and the scandisk log will have more info on the error.

Post back and let us know how you make out.

Edit: Added more info.

Edited by Leurgy, 22 February 2006 - 12:24 PM.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#3 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2006 - 12:26 PM

Added this reply to alert the member to additional info.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#4 dizzydancingdude

dizzydancingdude
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2006 - 07:59 PM

Thanks so much, Leurgy, for your help! :thumbsup:

However, the plot thickens and I desperately need further help, I'm afraid. :cool:
I do apologize for this rambling message but PLEASE read on….

I hunted for the “restore\_logs…” folder or file in the System Restore folder – and checked it wasn’t hidden, and then moved on to plough through other folders in Windows – though I must admit to not opening every sub-folder!

The scan log had only kept info on the last scan that my friend had tried this morning when she got the message that memory was short. Scandisk had been set as you suggested. Apparently scandisk & defrag haven’t been run for years, nor has the PC had any antivirus software running until I gave her one a couple of months ago.

However over the last couple of weeks, the antivirus wouldn’t run (another utility was running- though couldn’t see it in the list of running progs…) I tried to download AntiVir again but to no avail. Out of interest, I ran the free online McAfee virus scan, which detected 6 different viruses! I managed to find & delete some instances of them. But it was getting beyond a joke & beyond my knowledge & patience. :woot: :flowers:

PLAN B :cool:
I thought I’d try a clean install using my Windows 98SE (though probably not legal!). She hasn’t got the Windows ME disk (?) Although 98SE is a downgrade, I’ve managed to do it on my PC - so I’m more confident than say using my XP disk. I had to go to MS Dos to start the process but when it started the scandisk part, it came up with the original message. Now I’m stuck and a bit worried incase I mess things up further. :trumpet:

I’ve copied the relevant files in Windows as well as settings, documents etc.
My friend’s thinking of buying a new PC (hers is pretty old) But the whole thing has become a challenge for me - and a learning experience and I’m determined to have a go….
I’ve read / copied articles which seem relevant but my mind is getting rather fuddled now & my understanding of partitioning, FAT32 etc is limited. :inlove:

If you think my plan will work, and you have the patience, I’d be really grateful if you (or anyone else!) could possibly start me off with the Dos commands I would need to complete a clean install – (Once I get back to following the Win98 disk I should be ok)

Many thanks!!

#5 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2006 - 11:16 PM

A clean install is fairly easy. You need a 98 boot disk that you can get from bootdisk.com. Get the 98 no ramdrive as its the easiest one to deal with. You set the bios to boot from the floppy and select "with CD-Rom support" during the boot. If you use the bootdisk.com boot disk it sets your CD drive letter to R: (I think) but you can tell that as the boot from the floppy completes. It will show that the CD drive was recognized and show the drive letter so be sure to read that info. When the boot finishes you format the drive, reboot with the floppy, and switch to the CD drive and run setup. Once setup starts, remove the floppy. Don't worry about partitions unless there already is one. If there is you can deal with it later. The commands when you get to A:\> are:

format C: /u

Then reboot with the floppy

R:

setup

Remove the floppy

I think 98 is a much better OS than ME. Don't try to put XP on that machine as the hardware probably won't cut it.

#6 Super Corsair

Super Corsair

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2006 - 11:25 PM

Read this: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q255867/
And this: http://www.netpathway.com/~kramer/reinstall.html

To do this exit in to dos and type "fdisk" or you can use "format c" and wont have to reformat the hard drive.

You might want to read this to: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/824433 Make sure you have the product key, windows might ask for it.

I would try to fix the comp before you try and reinstall windows.
Do a scan here: http://www.pandasoftware.com/products/activescan.htm

#7 dizzydancingdude

dizzydancingdude
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2006 - 01:47 PM

Leurgy & Super Corsair.......

Many apologies for my huge delay in replying to your valued suggestions!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The truth is I foolishly didn't keep a record of which website/forum I'd joined nor saved details of my message & when I came to reply, I couldn't remember the title of my post "c:\_restore\logs-)-).)....." and I'd since cleared my History :thumbsup:
I know that was a stupid thing to do - but I've learnt my lesson!!! :flowers:

Anyway, I did manage to do a clean install of Windows 98SE following your guidance. :trumpet: I also found the panda scan to be excellent and use it on my own PC quite often. It produced a huge list of viruses, Trojans, diallers & spyware! I didn't have any disasters during the process thanks to your help and my friend is happy with her 'clean PC.' She has now installed AntiVir Guard and I check that she does a thorough scan regularly.

Hope you'll forgive my delay and will still reply to my future 'PC problem pleas' - which are guaranteed to arise.

Many thanks!!!!!!!!!

#8 The Shadow

The Shadow

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2006 - 07:34 AM

Hi Dizz,,,,

It sounds like you found a viable fix for the hozaxed ME.

What no one mentioned,,, and this may be of help to those reading this that still have Windows ME...
that "C:\_Restore" folder will continue to grow every day that the computer is used till it finally takes over your hard drive. It's been called the most worthless part of Win-ME.

I regularly dump that folder whenever I have to work on a PC that is still using Win-ME.
You can only dump it in DOS, booting up with a DOS Boot Disk, or with a special program like
MERestoreRemover.

In DOS you can run this command line from the A: prompt to delete the folder and all the junk in it.

C:\windows\command\deltree.exe /y "C:\_Restore\*.*"

(leave a space before and after the /y switch.)

This process can take several hours on a badly overloaded folder.

Using the "MERestoreRemover" program will shorten this time considerably.
When this program loads, it becomes an Applet in your Control Panel, and needs to be run from there.

In defense of Windows-ME, it actually does have a couple of improvements over 98 or even 98/SE.
It has a much improved DEFRAG program that runs about ten times faster than the one on previous versions of windows. (that defrag can also be used on PC's running Win-98, for a much faster Defrag)
Then, when loading drivers from a CD, Win-ME will search the entire CD looking for the right driver so you don't have to do it manually. Next, it has improved USB support. ME Works much better with flash drives, for instance.

After killing off the Restore thingy, and making some needed registry tweaks, I can get ME to work pretty well. Since not everyone can do what I do, I don't recommend anyone upgrading to ME from 98/SE.

If you have the old "98" I do advocate an upgrade to "98/SE". It's a very worthwhile upgrade and the upgrade CD's can be found somewhat easily.

If you have Windows ME and intend to keep it, getting a copy of my own ME Boot floppy (or CD) would be a worthwhile move. It's absolutely free Here.
For the self creating floppy version, download
wnMEboot.exe

and for the ISO to make a boot CD, download
ME-Boot CD.ISO

From the Menu driven options on the disk, you can completely set up, partition and format a new HD, run scandisk, delete all files in the "C:\_Restore" folder and run a Cleanup batch file (Hoover.bat) to dump all the temps and other junk files off of the HD.

Good Luck and Happy Computing.
The Shadow :thumbsup:
For those wanting, or needing the Norton Removal Tool,
it's latest version is available Here:
http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/tsgen...005033108162039

"The only bad backup is the one you decided NOT to make" Annonymous

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users