Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

GPU overheating as soon as computer boots up.

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 mrzedx

mrzedx

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:21 PM

Posted 06 April 2012 - 11:22 AM

Posted ImageHey guys

first of all i would like to introduce myself, im sam from sydney australia.. ive been a reader on here for quiet a while and i used to be a poster here a while back a few years ago but i cannot seem to log in with my old accounts or i cant remember my details :S anyways.

The problem at hand is i was cleaning the dust out of my computer earlier today, decided it was getting rather dusty, which shockingly wasnt as bad as i thought, although my GPU is rather chunky Asus direct CUII ill post a pic at the botton.. anyways I have a Radeon6950 2gb that takes up 3 slots, my southbridge heatsink is rather large so its really a struggle to sit my gpu nicely on the motherboard.

Anyways the asus smartdoctor reading came upto 65-70 degrees as i turned the computer on, as the temperature was rising i quickly turned the computer off, so it may have hit 100degrees for a few seconds as i turned it off. I have no clue what i have done for this to take place :( my gpu had cost me $300+ 6 months ago.

heres a pic included of the gpu

Link to gpu

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bludgard

bludgard

• Members
  • 934 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:21 AM

Posted 07 April 2012 - 10:17 PM

Can you give a little info on what has been tried?
Like:
Pulling/reseating the GPU?
Checking that fans are turning at startup?
Checking that there are no obstructions (such as wires or other parts) preventing proper operation?

#3 mrzedx

mrzedx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2012 - 12:14 AM

Tried to pull the GPU out and reseat it. Temperatures still soared up.

Changed DUAL FAN SETTINGS to OVER 3500 to 4000 RPM thats 100% and still heated all the way upto 95degrees and i quickly turned the computer off for 10 mins.

fans were working. you can hear them loud and clear when they run and checked them every time still happened.

nope no obstructions at all, i think to myself that i may have knocked the heatsink or fans of the gpu out of place so they may not be touching the main chipset causing it to heat up all the time.

any other ideas.

Thanks

#4 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2012 - 01:52 AM

You may need to carefully, take the heatsink off the gpu and reapply thermal paste which will hopefully make proper contact again.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#5 mrzedx

mrzedx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2012 - 01:56 AM

I dont want to do that, if you check out the pictures of the gpu itself, its a very complex unit, it takes over 3 PCI slots, its 12 inches long and has 2 heatsinks and a 2 fans, what kind of reasoning can i give to asus to get it fixed under warranty what can i say to them :S i want to at least get them to look at it and hope they fix it under warranty if not then i will try to open it up. thanks guys.

also i may consider doing a upgrade instead as my case needs an upgrade, i am running a E6600 cpu with ddr2 ram etc. and also my M/B southbridge hits the side of the GPU and doesnt let it lock into place correctly.

#6 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2012 - 02:04 AM

Well if it's still under warranty then you should just simply tell them the cooler isn't working properly and hopefully they would just give you another one.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#7 bludgard

bludgard

• Members
  • 934 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:21 AM

Posted 08 April 2012 - 06:09 AM

... my M/B southbridge hits the side of the GPU and doesnt let it lock into place correctly.

This may have something to do with the overheating....

#8 mrzedx

mrzedx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2012 - 06:37 AM

yes thats too has something to do with it yet before it was working no problems whatsoever, its just after the dust cleaning incident the gpu has stopped working. if it wasnt installed correctly it would be the cause though? ill link you to my current motherboard.

the southbridge comes up too high not letting the gpu sit properly. in the end with some push and shove it evenutally does

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users