Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

had virus windows xp home

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 old timer

old timer

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:28 PM

Posted 06 April 2012 - 10:40 AM

I believe the infection was cause by a program called Smart HDD
a suspicious box opened...said I had serious problems and wanted me to buy there fix!I shut down puter,and had no desktop items at all!I went on line and did some virus scans (Trend Micro)(Kaspersky) and removed many viruses,I finally got my desktop items back...by checking a box that said show hidden files.I run (unhide exe) got more things back.I still dont have any system tools,games etc.all the sub folders are showing emty?
I don't know very much about computers..still learning..at my age 61.
can any one help me with some simple solution tasks...as a last resort I'll bring in my puter
ps I just run the Kaspersky virus removal...could'nt copy this,so I wrote it out,maybe this info will help?
"a problem has been detected and windows have been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.the problem seems to be caused by the following file :4108485drv.sys the driver unloadedwithout cancelling pending operations.
thankyou for any help.

Edited by hamluis, 06 April 2012 - 12:35 PM.
Moved from XP to Am I Infected.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 narenxp

narenxp

• BC Advisor
  • 16,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:28 PM

Posted 06 April 2012 - 11:28 PM

Press windows+R key and type

%temp% and click ok

If you find a folder called SMTMP ,copy it to a safe location

Can you post malwarebytes and TDSSkiller logs?

Thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users