Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Building Help

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 beast518

beast518

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:16 PM

Posted 21 February 2006 - 07:37 PM

Well I have a Dimension 3000 and i have changed everything from top to bottom besides the mobo and cpu.
I have no 1gb ddr ram, 256ddr ATI video card, 250gb harddrive, new Aspire tower. Now i wanna chage mobo. So is my 2.8 Pentium 4 a good processor shoud i keep it and get a good board to oc it? If so what board should i get? I'm not for sure what model processor I have all i know it's a P4 2.8 Socket 478. So help me guys..
Thanx,
Shawn

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:16 PM

Posted 22 February 2006 - 07:19 AM

The 2.8 Pent P4 478 socket is a good processor, probably has dual threading technology, but it has been discontinued and you have to find a compatable motherboard with the features you want to be able to use.

There aren't that many still left available with hi line features. Depending on what you want it to do, you may have to search far and wide.

For instance, you will have to find one that is compatable with the RAM you have, and the graphics card. If you want to use the dual threading capability you need one that will be compatable and have enough ram slots. If you want SATA, the motherboard and bios must have it.

Why did you rebuild the Dell instead of just getting another case with a larger power supply, and more expansion capability which you may well need?

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:16 AM

Posted 23 February 2006 - 03:38 PM

If you keep the Dell case, you'll need a Dell mobo to go in it - and they're expensive.

I've got an Asus P4P800 SE motherboard (800 mHz) that works very well with my 3.0 gHz (socket 478) P4. Even cheaper is the 533 mHz P4PE that I have on my backup system. Check the FSB (Front Side Bus) of your P4 to see which it is.

This (along with a decent case and power supply) should cost less than a Dell mobo - and will be more upgradeable in the future.

The socket 478 P4's are on their way out (although they still work just fine) - so if you're looking at future upgrades, I'd look into the newer P4's or the AMD's. The AMD currently holds the lead in gaming performance.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users