Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't Disable Autorun in Flash Drive.

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 BonbonRose

BonbonRose

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:08 AM

Posted 06 April 2012 - 05:05 AM

Hi,

I noticed that my computer doesn't pop-up that window when I insert the flash drive to ask how to open it. So, I googled a bit and found some steps to perform but nothing happened..
Here they are: From About.com and Answers.com.

There was this link but I didn't want to try it because it says it will tell Windows to ignore any and all autorun.inf files. and I don't know if that's a good thing or not.

I have Windows XP SP3..

Thanks in advance

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:08 AM

Posted 07 April 2012 - 04:38 PM

One of the first things I do on my computer is turn off autorun. It is one method that some viruses use to spread.

Good Luck
Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#3 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,934 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2012 - 05:20 PM

Flash_Disinfector is a specialized fix tool created by sUBs to remove infections that load an autorun.inf file on removable media. Flash_Disinfector will create a hidden "dummy" autorun folder/file with special permissions in each partition and every external drive that was connected when the tool was run. This folder helps to keep the malicious autorun.ini file from being installed on the root drive and running other malicious files which will infect the computer

Please download Flash_Disinfector.exe by sUBs and save it to your desktop.
  • Double-click Flash_Disinfector.exe to run it and follow any prompts that may appear.
  • The utility may ask you to insert your flash drive and/or other removable drives. Please do so and allow the utility to clean up those drives as well.
  • Hold down the Shift key when inserting the drive until Windows detects it to keep autorun.inf from executing if it is present.
  • Wait until it has finished scanning and then exit the program.
  • Reboot your computer when done.
Note: As part of its routine, Flash_Disinfector will create a hidden folder named autorun.inf in each partition and every USB drive that was plugged in when you ran it. Do not delete this folder...it will help protect your drives from future infection by keeping the autorun file from being installed on the root drive and running other malicious files.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#4 bludgard

bludgard

• Members
  • 934 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2012 - 10:42 PM

Thanks for that, boopme.
Daddy likes.... :thumbup2:

:lol:

#5 BonbonRose

BonbonRose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2012 - 09:45 AM

Hi,

I already use Flash Disinfector but the problem exists.

#6 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,934 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2012 - 08:28 PM

Hello I may have misread this..

noticed that my computer doesn't pop-up that window when I insert the flash drive to ask how to open it.

This appears as if auto run IS disabled.

Follow along on these steps and se if Double click the item, and set the radio button to Enabled, and change the “Turn off Autoplay on” to All Drives. was done.

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows/disable-autoplay-of-audio-cds-and-usb-drives/

Enable/Disable Autorun

Edited by boopme, 14 June 2012 - 08:32 PM.

How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#7 BonbonRose

BonbonRose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2012 - 11:20 PM

Hi,

Still, non of these two links worked. Every time I plug an USB the computer just "sense" it right away - no pop-ups or confirmations to run it.

Concerning the link I included in the first post: About.com, I tried from step 6 to 15. Didn't try the previous ones because they seemed unsafe to try. What do you think?

#8 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2012 - 10:11 AM

You want to Enable Autorun as I understand it, Not Disable it. Those steps are disable it. That will make so that plugging in a flash drive will not generate the popup You want.

I use this little software to enable or disable autorun in my computers as well as vaccinate the USB drives. It works for me.
http://download.cnet.com/Panda-USB-Vaccine/3000-2239_4-10909938.html?tag=mncol;1

Panda USB Vaccine is a free utility from Panda Research which helps prevent malware infections due to the autorun feature of Windows Operating Systems. Once executed the user can choose two types of vaccinations: Computer Vaccination or USB Drive Vaccination. USB Vaccine allows users to vaccinate their PCs in order to disable autorun completely so that no program from any USB/CD/DVD drive (regardless of whether they have been previously vaccinated or not) can auto-execute.

Do not vaccinate the flash drive if you want Autorun to work. If you vaccinate a Flash drive with it you will have to format the drive, losing everything, to regain autorun funcionality. It does however allow you to toggle autorun on & off for the windows itself.

I already use Flash Disinfector but the problem exists.

Since that disables autorun on the flash drive..

Good Luck
Roger

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/

167 @ June 2015

#9 BonbonRose

BonbonRose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2012 - 11:55 AM

Hi,

I want to re-disable autorun in order to protect the computer but I'm thinking to try with adjusting the settings before using a third-party app.

#10 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2012 - 12:10 PM

I'm puzzled since in the first post you said

I noticed that my computer doesn't pop-up that window when I insert the flash drive to ask how to open it. So, I googled a bit and found some steps to perform but nothing happened..

That sounds as if you wanted it to pop up that window. Which can not happen with Autorun disabled or a drive that Flash Disinfector has been run on.

And here You say

I want to re-disable autorun in order to protect the computer but I'm thinking to try with adjusting the settings before using a third-party app.

I didn't see where you enabled Autorun.

Hence my puzzlement.

Roger

Edited by rotor123, 18 June 2012 - 12:13 PM.

167 @ June 2015

#11 BonbonRose

BonbonRose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2012 - 03:42 PM

Hi,

I'm in puzzlement too; Isn't disabling autorun means asking for permission before allowing the drive to run as a protection approach?

I had that before and for some reason I wanted to make sure so I altered the values of the registry settings like in that link you gave me "Enable/Disable Autorun " under the title "How To Enable Autorun for Other Removable Media". Now using any of both values 91/95 is useless; Once I insert the USB, the computer runs it right away.

#12 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2012 - 04:38 PM

Disabling means turn it off. It doesn't mean have it ask. With autorun off you should be able to plug a drive into the USB port or put a disk in the DVD drive and nothing happens.

That is why I use Panda USB Vaccine it lets me turn autorun on or off as well as set the USB drives so they never Autorun. That feature requires a format of the USB drive to undo. But the Computer part turns it on and off easily.

Roger

167 @ June 2015

#13 BonbonRose

BonbonRose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2012 - 05:21 PM

Hi,

So that means now I have autorun off and what I'm asking for is to turn it on, right?

#14 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2012 - 05:51 PM

If you want that pop up window when you put in a USB flash stick then yes you want it enabled.

a drive that Flash Disinfector has been run on will not trigger autorun since that would be the opposite of what it is designed to do. And I believe you did run Flash Disinfector previously.

Roger

167 @ June 2015

#15 BonbonRose

BonbonRose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2012 - 02:50 PM

Hi,

I just want the protection.. but I don't really understand how Flash Disinfector or Panda USB contradict - if I might say - with this autorun on/off status oppose to not having them. Hope I wrote that clearly.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users