Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows XP with SP2 just CRASHED AND BURNED MY COMPUTER

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 cwhaler

cwhaler

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:37 AM

Posted 08 November 2004 - 07:42 PM

:thumbsup: Had to really try not to blow my top. This system sucks. I phoned my tech support today (who I haven't needed in 2 years) and explained that my third install of xp ended with my power supply being blown from so many formats in such a short time, (each one a support method from MS phone support).
What an obscene waste of my time. Faulty software, forceing the world market to change technology, or will this be MS's big mistake. It's up to us. My personal support network concurs 80% of systems switching to XP experience major compatability issues. I'm only able to post this message because I was pissed off enough to go back to work to vent my frustrations to a larger forum.
CCW

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 KoanYorel

KoanYorel

Bleepin' Conundrum

• Members
  • 19,461 posts
  •  
  • Location:65 miles due East of the "Logic Free Zone", in Md, USA
  • Local time:06:37 AM

Posted 08 November 2004 - 07:56 PM

Take another couple of deep breaths. Try to hang on a bit longer.

Welcome to "BC", you are not alone!

CWHaler, when you are ready, try and peruse a few of the forums here.

See if you can expound a bit more specifically about some of the problems that you've experienced.

We've some "Pro's" here that will try to help you figure out what to do!

regards
~Koan
The only easy day was yesterday.

...some do, some don't; some will, some won't (WR)

#3 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,617 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2004 - 08:06 PM

Give us an idea of what happened...and what state your computer is in right now?

#4 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2004 - 08:14 PM

Sounds bad! I didnt have any trouble like that........

#5 JSKY

JSKY

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2004 - 09:28 PM

Here is a recommended list of things before downloading and installing XPSP2.

1. Clean out your temp files in the temp folder.
2. Clean out your temporary internet files and cookies.
3. Defrag the hard drive.
4. Turn off your anti virus and firewall before downloading the service pack and installing it.
5. During the install you will be asked if you want to archive the files, do so. The archived file scan be deleted later if the service pack works. Having the archived files, will allow you to uninstall the service pack if you have any problems.
6. After the pc reboots, reboot a couple more times. This insures that when you start up every thing will start up with in a good time period.
7. After rebooting the extra times, turn your anti virus and firewall back on.
These steps will help insure that your download and install do not get corrupted. That is what causes allot of the bad installs of the service pack.

After about a week of running the service pack and you find that you do not need the back up files, here is the info on how to remove the archived files.
SP2 - Removing Archived/Backup Files:
If you selected "yes" and did a backup it should be listed in Add/Remove. If not, check here: Start/Run/Regedit
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Current Version \Uninstall
If you no longer wish to uninstall SP2 you can remove those extra files, to do so: Set your folder options to show hidden files then go to: C:\Windows\$NtServicePackUninstall$ and delete it.
After uninstalling the folder go to Add or Remove, choose uninstall and it will fail and then the listing will be removed.

Note that due to the threat of modern network aware worms you should turn on the XP firewall before disabling your firewall.

Also, those with spybot resident shield and teatimer should shut them off too.

Edited by JSKY, 08 November 2004 - 09:29 PM.

#6 KoanYorel

KoanYorel

Bleepin' Conundrum

• Members
  • 19,461 posts
  •  
  • Location:65 miles due East of the "Logic Free Zone", in Md, USA

Posted 08 November 2004 - 09:43 PM

cwhaler,

I bumped this next item up for you to peruse. (See Pothole patching....)

I had no problem with the XP SP2 upgrade & still don't have one.

Check this item out for how I accomplished the upgrade etc.

good luck....

Look here

Edited by KoanYorel, 08 November 2004 - 09:45 PM.

The only easy day was yesterday.

...some do, some don't; some will, some won't (WR)

#7 cwhaler

cwhaler
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:37 AM

Posted 09 November 2004 - 10:28 AM

Thanks for the imput people.

The issues are too many to count
Today I have to take my comp in to get it running again since I have no power supply and it is suspect that my hard drive may be toast too.

My system is custom built with 1.3gig RAM (not mismatched), 30 gig HD, Athion Thunderbird Processor, K7T turbo 2 ATX mainboard, Creative Soundblaster PC 128 (this is one problem), lotsa cooling capacity, and worked fine with windows 98.

Originally I purchased the XP Pro upgrade but after having many issues from Feb 2004 to Oct 2004, MS sent me a free full version upgrade with SP2 included on the same disc. My first install was clean, so I first got critical updates from MS and began to load some of my programs. Most worked fine until I decided to load Norton Antivirus 2004. BAM I got hit with a parity virus and Bonsie_4. I did everthing to prevent this but it still happened, even with my net gear router firewall, (MS firewall disabled), Norton Internet security firewall was up and running too. Did all the support options from symantec and was left with only an uninstall/reinstall of norton. this is where the fun really began and I had to
Format and reinstall XP. No more clean installs and my computer is dead.

Norton is also sending me a free replacement disc in a few days, so once I get my computer back from tech support, and all the damages have been tallied, I'll try one more time with XP. If that doesn't work, I guess it's time to organize some class action for the MS monopoly.

YES I'm still pissed
CCW

#8 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,617 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2004 - 02:41 PM

Ok let us know how it works... Before you plug your computer into the internet make sure you enable the xp firewall.

Also you may want to harden IE as well before connecting to the internet by following these steps:

Make your Internet Explorer more secure[/color] - This can be done by following these simple instructions:
  • From within Internet Explorer click on the Tools menu and then click on Options.
  • Click once on the Security tab
  • Click once on the Internet icon so it becomes highlighted.
  • Click once on the Custom Level button.
    • Change the Download signed ActiveX controls to Prompt
    • Change the Download unsigned ActiveX controls to Disable
    • Change the Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe to Disable
    • Change the Installation of desktop items to Prompt
    • Change the Launching programs and files in an IFRAME to Prompt
    • Change the Navigate sub-frames across different domains to Prompt
    • When all these settings have been made, click on the OK button.
    • If it prompts you as to whether or not you want to save the settings, press the Yes button.
  • Next press the Apply button and then the OK to exit the Internet Properties page.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users