Here is a recommended list of things before downloading and installing XPSP2.
1. Clean out your temp files in the temp folder.
2. Clean out your temporary internet files and cookies.
3. Defrag the hard drive.
4. Turn off your anti virus and firewall before downloading the service pack and installing it.
5. During the install you will be asked if you want to archive the files, do so. The archived file scan be deleted later if the service pack works. Having the archived files, will allow you to uninstall the service pack if you have any problems.
6. After the pc reboots, reboot a couple more times. This insures that when you start up every thing will start up with in a good time period.
7. After rebooting the extra times, turn your anti virus and firewall back on.
These steps will help insure that your download and install do not get corrupted. That is what causes allot of the bad installs of the service pack.
After about a week of running the service pack and you find that you do not need the back up files, here is the info on how to remove the archived files.
SP2 - Removing Archived/Backup Files:
If you selected "yes" and did a backup it should be listed in Add/Remove. If not, check here: Start/Run/Regedit
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Current Version \Uninstall
If you no longer wish to uninstall SP2 you can remove those extra files, to do so: Set your folder options to show hidden files then go to: C:\Windows\$NtServicePackUninstall$ and delete it.
After uninstalling the folder go to Add or Remove, choose uninstall and it will fail and then the listing will be removed.
Note that due to the threat of modern network aware worms you should turn on the XP firewall before disabling your firewall.
Also, those with spybot resident shield and teatimer should shut them off too.
Edited by JSKY, 08 November 2004 - 09:29 PM.