Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My laptop wakes from hibernation on its own.

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 signofzeta

signofzeta

• Members
  • 421 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:25 PM

Posted 06 April 2012 - 03:10 AM

As the title says, in the middle of the night, or perhaps randomly, my laptop turns itself on from hibernation. How do I check what is waking my laptop from hibernation, and how do I make it so that only I can wake up my laptop from hibernation?

My laptop instructions specifically says not to have my laptop running while it is in my laptop bag. I'm pretty sure hibernation is equivalent to being turned off, as no heat is coming out of the vents, and that I can easily turn on my laptop from hibernation quicker than when it is completely shut down, in case I want to move from one area to another. Anyway, it would be very bad if the laptop suddenly wakes from hibernation while in my laptop bag.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:25 AM

Posted 06 April 2012 - 04:46 AM

Certain key would wake a laptop from hibernation. As impossible it could be when being carried in your bag, make sure it is not being hit. Try turning off wifi radio button before entering hibernation or sleep mode.

Tekken

#3 signofzeta

signofzeta
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 421 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2012 - 03:27 AM

Ok, I found out that it wakes from hibernation everyday at 3:00AM central time. I don't know exactly what is doing it though.

#4 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,905 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:25 AM

Posted 07 April 2012 - 04:58 PM

Any scheduled scans or checks for updates for that time frame?

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#5 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:25 AM

Posted 07 April 2012 - 05:24 PM

Any scheduled scans or checks for updates for that time frame?

Hi -
To follow up on Animal. check when you have scheduled your Antivirus to run a scan -
Many have times like 3.00 AM, or similar, as the default time, but you can always change this to suit your operations

My MSE A/virus is set by Default at about this time so I changed it to 1.00 PM daily scans when it is usually in use (or at least open)

Regards -

#6 signofzeta

signofzeta
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 421 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2012 - 10:15 PM

I had MSE do a quick scan at 2:00AM every sunday. The odd thing was, my computer went out of hibernation at 3:00AM on a Monday, and a Tuesday. I couldn't tell you if it happened any other day, since I left it on at those times, but I told MSE to do a quick scan every sunday at 2:00AM, and my computer wakes up from hibernation daily at 3:00AM.

#7 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:25 AM

Posted 10 April 2012 - 02:42 AM

Hi -
You will note that the scan times on MSE say "Around" when time is mentioned, and even in operating situations mine has been 15 mins out -

My laptop instructions specifically says not to have my laptop running while it is in my laptop bag.

The best option would be to turn the laptop OFF after you finish, and then put it in the bag to prevent overheating -
I always turn mine OFF at the end of a session (if I am putting it away) and always off at night, or in its bag -

#8 signofzeta

signofzeta
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 421 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2012 - 03:08 AM

So how can I tell what background programs are running? I want to find the culprit and change it settings so my computer doesn't wake from hibernation at the same time everyday.

Just a question, but when you set windows update to automatic, does it wake your computer from hibernation to perform said update? Windows can't update while the computer is in sleep or hibernation mode right?

Edited by signofzeta, 10 April 2012 - 03:13 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users