Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Programs not appearing in control panel

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 yam04

yam04

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:41 PM

Posted 06 April 2012 - 01:53 AM

I run Vista Home Premium, and the day before yesterday, my programs stopped appearing in the control panel under Programs and Features (where you have the option to uninstall them). I'm actually not sure if this is a problem or virus caused by the program I downloaded, or if it's some basic mistake I've made, so any input would be appreciated.

I was trying to install bamboo dock for my wacom tablet, but it wasn't working so I downloaded a program off the wacom forums to help it install (if the link is needed, I can post it) called BambooDockUninstall. I downloaded it(did as it said, a small screen which quickly went to 100% appeared and then disappeared. Bamboo dock still didn't install), and when I checked under programs and features to see if the necessary things had been uninstalled, everything was gone save for one program (dropbox, if it matters). I also got a notice from my antivirus (avira) which asked me to remove something, which I did. I later ran a scan and it said a virus was detected, however whether that was from the uninstall program or something from before I'm unsure. I selected move to quarrantine, and I wrote down the names of those files, so if needed I can post them.

I can see the programs which used to appear in Programs and Features in program files in computer, and my system seems to be running fine apart from them not appearing (though I'm clearly no expert). Through googling it seems trying system restore would help, but I'm not sure if that's what I should be doing. Thanks for reading, and for any help :D (Also, I'm sorry if this is in the wrong section).

Edited by hamluis, 08 April 2012 - 06:42 AM.
Moved from Vista to Am I Infected.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 InadequateInfirmity

InadequateInfirmity

I Gots Me A Certified Edumication

• Banned
  • 5,180 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2012 - 01:05 PM

There is no harm in trying system restore.
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/using-windows-vista-system-restore/

#3 yam04

yam04
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2012 - 08:29 AM

I did so, and my programs did reappear in the programs and features section. I was alerted I had a virus though, and managed to move the two files to quarrantine with Avira (the files were part of the seven I was alerted to previously, so I'm assuming those two were from before, while the rest came from after I downloaded the file). Thanks for your help! :)

#4 InadequateInfirmity

InadequateInfirmity

I Gots Me A Certified Edumication

• Banned
  • 5,180 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2012 - 11:24 PM

you should post in the am i infected forum

Mod Edit: Moved to AII forum ~ Hamluis.

Edited by hamluis, 08 April 2012 - 06:43 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users