Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

First time buying Smartphone - advice needed

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 YesImOtto

YesImOtto

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:02 AM

Posted 05 April 2012 - 09:27 PM

Hi people!

Well....I have never had a smartphone....I am thinking of buying one.

Simple, I just need help, what is your advice? I will be using it for mostly...internet, I think. And those apps like Whatsapp etc. to be able to send SMS for free to other Whatsapp users.

Other than that I am not too picky..I dont mind decent videos/cameras megapixels, no need to be super good.

Music player, well I have got my iPod for that, so I dont mind if it is an average quality as well :)

At the moment I am thinking between Nokia Lumia 900 and Samsung Galaxy and HTC Evo 3D.... What do you guys recommend?

And lastly the most important thing: I have helped my mum and brother using iPhone. I have learned how to use iTunes etc for this very reason. I must say, I am not an Apple person, I don't really like it. So, for Samsung, HTC, Nokia, etc. what will you use to transfer apps the way iPhone uses iTunes? So basically, if iPhone uses iTunes, what do other smartphones use?

Thanks you all! Any advice appreciated!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Psychotic Overlord

Psychotic Overlord

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:32 PM

Posted 28 April 2012 - 08:45 PM

I'd say go for Samsung Galaxy SII because its worth it. I read through your post and it isn't there but still I'd say go for it. But if you think you will stick to the above three choices then HTC Evo 3D will be a fine choice.

#3 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:02 AM

Posted 28 April 2012 - 11:40 PM

1) You'll use nothing to transfer apps like in iTunes. Well you can use the Android marketplace website from your PC which will send them to your phone but there is no way to download an app to your pc and then transfer it to your phone.
2) Depending on your area go 4G if your carrier has or will have coverage before the contract is up. Its worth it.
3) Never get a phone that is more then 1 OS version behind the current version. Current is 4.0 last was 3.x or 2.3 but most likely any device with either version will not see an upgrade to 4.0. Kinda a bummer, I know. Usually a phone lasts 2 OS versions but if it's already behind before the next version comes out the manufacturer isn't planning on updating it. (Lessons learned the hard way....)
4) Personal Choice, the Google/Samsung Galaxy Nexus

Posted Image

#4 saint satin stain

saint satin stain

• Members
  • 150 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2012 - 11:49 PM

Hi people!

Well....I have never had a smart phone....I am thinking of buying one.

Simple, I just need help, what is your advice? I will be using it for mostly...internet, I think. And those apps like Whatsapp etc. to be able to send SMS for free to other Whatsapp users.

Other than that I am not too picky..I dont mind decent videos/cameras megapixels, no need to be super good.

Thanks you all! Any advice appreciated!!

Enthusiasm seems low. First I say, some folk don't really need a smart phone.

I had a 'feature' phone that collected several of my emails and surfed the internet, plus had a FM tuner, which most Android phones don't have. HTC makes some. Ask yourself, do I want a laptop in my pocket, which basically the iOS, Windows, Symbian, and Android mobile phones are the miniature surrogates.

Check the recent mobile phone offerings, see if your carrier has some 'feature' phones which have the email, messaging, and browser capabilities you need. Ask if you really need a desktop in your pocket. I don't like Apple mobiles, but they work, work without too many problems. I just don't like the paternalistic attitude of Apple; I do like Windows, but its mobile platform is proprietary. I wanted open source, something based on Linux kernel, something I can hack. I don't care about warranties. I wanted the same or similar freedom of customization I have with Linux and Windows (proprietary but flexible) desktops..

When you have decided on a smart phone, choose either a Windows, iOS, or Android. Stay away from Symbian; it is an abandoned mobile OS near future. Unless you really need built in encryption don't get a RIM mobile phone (Blackberry); it's main concentration is for business or small business, or for folk security conscious on the easy.

You stated that you don't like iOS, but you have an iPod. iPhones work, have some good features, pretty, and have a dungload of apps in the Apple market. I don't like them, though I do have some Macs, pre Intel, PowerPC and before, which I still operate.

If you want a smart phone that works, have not an itch for extreme customization, choose the iPhone.

My choice was between the Windows mobile and an Android. I chose Android. I have rooted it and remove some of the carrier's bloatware, made some adjustments; it is more stable and faster now.

Windows mobiles and Androids are about equal except for the customizations possible.

If you want ease of use, get either iPhone or Windows mobile phone.

Some questions to ask or research. Can the battery be removed easily? Some mobile makers have a batteries which cannot be removed, so in case of a freeze a hard boot is only recourse.

Does the phone have expandable memory, an SD card slot? Some companies don't want you to store your music on your device; they want to sell you storage on their servers and you stream your music to your device?

I prefer to store music locally. You have an iPod, so I guess that's no concern.

Some carriers and Google too, offer backup space. I take it if the basic is free, but my main backup is done by my security. Webroot and Lookout have good reps an credibility..

Do you want a (hardware) FM tuner? Check to see if the phone you want has one, if you want one. The software replacements, such as Slacker, Tunein, and Sky, though good, do not suffice. Some FM stations don't stream on the internet.

One of the qualities I am looking for in the new phone I will buy a few months from now is fewest pre installed apps.

What is bloatware to some is not to others. I assemble the hardware for my computers, buy a retail copy of Windows, which way I avoid the bloatware HP, Dell, and et cetera other computer makers add to Microsoft's OSs. You cannot do this with mobile phones, but you can hack Androids (root first, then work wonders, or brick the mobile).

I hesitate to recommend a particular phone, but suggest you go to your carrier or potential carrier and read the specs of its mobile phones. That's the best way.

saint satin stain
Responsible for what I say,
not for what you understand.
www.leftinalabama.com

#5 narins

narins

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:02 AM

Posted 20 June 2012 - 09:37 AM

I would go for the Samsung. My old phone was a Samsung Galaxy Nexus - and it was more than decent for using the internet, whatsapp, etc + it had a decent camera. Changed to an iPhone recently - I cannot say I am not pleased with its high-res camera or its looks - but it is definitely more expensive of a device, especially if you are planning of purchasing without a plan.

#6 saint satin stain

saint satin stain

• Members
  • 150 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2012 - 04:17 PM

I am buying another Android in a few months, been researching for about a month. I have narrowed the choices to these three:

Samsung Galaxy S 3, awesome specs, has SD slot (up to 64 gigs), but no radio; it will be pricey for awhile.

Galaxy Nexus from Google, good price, but no radio, no SD slot. So that eliminates it.

HTC Amaze, an older phone sold by my carrier for $450.00 and it has a radio, a real radio, FM tuner, an SD slot upgrade to 32 gigs card.
It's not as awesome as the S 3, but how awesome can a mobile phone be without a radio?

• 1080p HD video capture and sharing
  • 8 megapixel camera with flash
  • 2 megapixel front-facing camera
Display
  • 4.3” qHD super LCD capacitive multi-touch
  • WVGA TFT capacitive touch screen
  • qHD 540 x 960 resolution
  • 4G: Theoretical peak download speeds up to 42 Mbps
  • Wi-Fi: IEEE 802.11 a/b/g/n compliant
  • Bluetooth® 3.0
  • Near Field Communications
  • GPS
  • FM radio

http://htc.t-mobile.com/amaze-camera-phone

The Amaze is a good voice phone. Reception is average, and voices sound clear in the phone's earpiece. Maximum volume is a touch low, but it should be loud enough for most users. On the other end, calls made with the phone sound sharp and clear, with good noise cancellation. The speakerphone sounds fine, but it doesn't get loud enough to use outdoors.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2394533,00.asp

So I decide here and now to buy the HTC Amaze because the sound is okay, great 8 meg camera, step up from my 5, SD slot, and radio. Though the S3 is awesome, I decided I will not buy any future phone without a sd slot, radio, and you can't take out the battery.

I recommend, if obtainable through your carrier, the HTC Amaze; your carrier may have it under a different name.

saint satin stain
www.leftinalabama.com

#7 Mr.ArnOld

Mr.ArnOld

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2012 - 05:06 AM

Definitely galaxy s2/s3 (depends on your budget).
Im also not an iPhone person, and very satisfied about my galaxy S2.
My father just got galaxy s3 and i was very impressed. I must say it is a bit big (for sure more than the iphone or galaxy2), but the design and screen are amazing.

BTW - you can sync your android phone using "Google drive"/USB cable/SD card/ etc...

#8 ksmeet

ksmeet

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2012 - 03:30 AM

i would reccommand for Samsung Galaxy nexus and s 3

#9 saint satin stain

saint satin stain

• Members
  • 150 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2013 - 09:43 PM

I was going to quote myself, but decided since I have changed my brain to start anew.

I wanted these three basics, a FM tuner, removable battery because I carry 2 spares, and sd slot because I like my music local and not stored on some other website.

By that reckoning I couldn't even consider the Google Nexus 4, an awesome phone, quad core demaon.  Technology solves my problems: I carry my old T-Mobile tap which can connect with wifi, though I dont, but has good FM tuner, some space for a few song but primitive music player. I use if for it radio, FM. You can buy wifi portable external hard drives some up to thou gigs which stream music to a music player on your phone or tablet, and you can store files on it. 

So my next phone is the Google Nexus 4 which is half the price of the S III and 4, Galaxy Tab 2 and others of that ilk. It's unlocked GSM.

Buy the Google Nexus 4, buy a wifi external portable hard drive, and carry two solar powered portable chargers when you travel, and you can have an awesome phone with more local storage than any smartphone ever even approaches and backup power with the small solar chargers. It has mostly Google apps. On my roots I have never removed a Google app, only carrier apps.

saint satin stain
www.leftinalabama.com

#10 67Nero

67Nero

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:02 PM

Posted 09 June 2013 - 04:55 PM

Actually, I think you would be happy with SGS3 mini. I have it and I play some games too on it, no lag on anything I do. Only con what I can think of is it's low memory (just get a external sd card and profit). I got root and some flashed stuff plus a mod. It's the 4cylturbo, you can find it on XDA forums. It contains some stuff to speed up things a bit. If you decide to root your device, I would recommend to use the 4cylturbo, NoBloat and AdAway.

Edited by 67Nero, 09 June 2013 - 04:56 PM.

trace.

Signature500x83_zps94555895.png

#11 Tydek

Tydek

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:02 AM

Posted 11 June 2013 - 04:14 PM

I bought used telephone for 90€ that is Samsung S1. It's really pretty good, battery lasts about 1-3 day. Depends on how you use telephone, if you are playing games it can discarge pretty fast. I totally recommend Samsung S1 it's cheap and it's work that money. 

#12 saint satin stain

saint satin stain

• Members
  • 150 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2013 - 12:05 PM

Okay. The HTC One,

Samsung Galaxy S III, and 4,

and the Galaxy Note II,

and the Google Nexus 4

are all Quadcore 2 gigs RAM, save the S III, a dualcore.  but good phone. I believe that the Nexus 4 is the better phone; it's pure Android, Google apps only, no skin to slow it down, and it is value sold for $349.00. 

The others full price range from about $500.00 to $700.00 and are burdened with handset maker and carrier apps, though there are Google versions of the HTC One, $599.00, and Samsung Galaxy S 4, $649.00 which claim pure Android you better read reviews at PhoneArena before buying.  Compare the tech specs of the Note II, SIII and S4, HTC One, and Nexus 4; compare the price tags, then decide.

I dont like the Google Nexus 4's lack of removable batteries,  lack of upgradeable storage, and no FM tuner, so

I bought the Google Nexus 4, and

a Seagate Wireless Plus, 1 TB (creates own wifi network. it's small enough to fit in shirt pocket.),

another solar powered portable charger (have 2 now), and

a tiny Memorex AM/FM radio.

I carry a shoulder purse and wear pants with cargo pockets, and with a suit all fit easily in inside pockets and outside jacket pockets. I plan to buy another Seagate and use as network backup. The Seagate supports encryption.

The S 4 and  HTC One, Google editions, pure Android, still cost too much and have some features you may not like.

The Google Nexus best phione, best buy, unless you like the skins, like Sense, that carriers and handset makers like, and the unnecessary and unneeded app bloat.  Only  Google apps I dont use Google Play Music and the foreign keyboards. Google Play Music I dont use because I stream my music and videos, all, from the Seagate drive. 

The reason why some carriers (and handset makers) dont build some phones with sd slots is money; they want to steer you toward their streaming services or those of their partners. Unless they've partnered with Seagate, the maker of my solar chargers, and Memorex I've thwarted that.

Carriers who subsidize phones charge you monthly for them, even continue past retail price charging you.  T-Mobile, to their credit, stopped doing that. Because I live in the world, not just the USA I only use GSM carriers. ATT and T-Mobile only choices I have here in the USA. 

I use the metric system. USA been changing to metric for over 40 years, haven't yet. We're that way about CDMA versus GSM too. The world uses GSM.

Saying.

Too much.

I rooted mine and installed AdAway, Flash Player (with Dolphin), Nandroid Manager, Ultimate Backup, Online Nandroid, Root Explorer, and  Orbot & Orweb

Edited by saint satin stain, 12 July 2013 - 12:11 PM.

saint satin stain
www.leftinalabama.com

#13 StrangerX

StrangerX

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:02 AM

Posted 21 July 2013 - 03:38 PM

One word: Android :)

#14 kevinhall

kevinhall

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:32 PM

Posted 23 August 2013 - 05:25 AM

No doubt go for Iphone 5...  It's best. :)  :)  :thumbsup:

#15 saint satin stain

saint satin stain

• Members
  • 150 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2013 - 02:21 PM

I bought the Google Nexus 4, quad core, 2 gigs ram, and uses IPS same display iPhones use. It costs half the price of the other quad wonders and it doesn't have a skin put on at request of carriers and it's pure android.

saint satin stain
www.leftinalabama.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users