Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

windows 7

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 jmillz

jmillz

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:01 AM

Posted 05 April 2012 - 07:10 PM

sooo my computer died earlier this year and im getting a new one however i dont still have my windows 7 discs, actually i never had them a friend of mine works for them and somehow controlled my computer from his work and installed it for me however i dont want to make him do that again and i certainly dont want to pay $100 for it, so is there a way i can get it from my old hard drive? My old computer's CPU went. I was going to replace it but my brother said he'd give me his motherboard, CPU, RAM, PSU, and possibly a SATA drive. So is there anyway i can use my old hard drives to retrieve windows? Or am i pretty much screwed?

-help is always appreciated, Josiah

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tonyb1968

tonyb1968

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2012 - 07:47 PM

While I am certainly no expert, it seems that it would be possible to clone everything off of your old drive and onto a new one, or to use your old drive as the primary drive in the newer system. If budget is a priority, then keep in mind that there are several free open source Operating Systems out there and many are just as customizable as Windows 7 and many are actually more stable and secure...and they will generally work on most systems without modification.
Just my two cent's !

#3 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:01 PM

Posted 05 April 2012 - 08:33 PM

my computer died earlier this year and im getting a new one

Hi Josiah -
Are you purchasing a New computer, or are you just Adding the bits you described above ??
The reason I ask this is if you are purchasing a New computer, it will come with Windows7 already installed -

Thank You -

#4 jmillz

jmillz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2012 - 10:47 AM

right, sorry i should have clarified. No unfortunately im not buying a new computer just adding those new parts.

#5 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:01 AM

Posted 06 April 2012 - 03:35 PM

I'm afraid that you can't save Windows 7 from your old hard drive to use on a different computer.

Also, if you attempt to boot your old drive in the newer build with a different motherboard, there's a high probability that it will just blue screen. That's because the old Win7 motherboard and all of its hardware drivers would be different and thus conflict with the newer system.

You certainly could slave your old hard drive to the new system for the purpose of copying old data (documents, photos, music).

Regards,
Brooks

#6 jmillz

jmillz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2012 - 05:53 PM

thank you :) i think i get it now i tried it anyway and it did boot off but it was extremely slow and every now and then i would get a blue screen so instead i just took it out completely and put in a new hard drive although im installing XP on it instead, at first i got the blue screen but as of the moment im installing it on the newer hard drive so i formatted everything and now am installing xp on the 200 gig hard drive the first time it said something about not being ACPI compatable or something which is what made me guess i had to switch drives ill let ya know how it turns out!
thanks again!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users