Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can Windows XP be recovered for this old computer

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 richierein

richierein

• Members
  • 379 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:10 PM

Posted 05 April 2012 - 05:59 PM

I was brought an HP n3370 laptop in non-working condition. This baby is old, very old. There is a sticker on the bottom with a serial number for Windows 98. I could get to the BIOS and run diagnostics. Everything works fine but the hard disk appeared worthless. There is no backup and no recovery medium. The information on the disk also had no value. It had been running Windows XP before it crashed. Unbelievable as it is, I was able to recover the hard disk using DBAN. Recovery disk sets can be purchased for newer computers for about $15. Here is the problem. I contacted HP to purchase a recovery disk set and they couldn't even identify this computer by it's serial number. They told me that they only maintain software for a period of five years. I never expected that the operating system couldn't be replaced. The owner of the computer is a minimum wage worker and is unable to easily purchase another computer. I suggested that she look around for a used laptop, possibly on Ebay. Does anyone know if it is possible to get this machine working again? HP says no.

Edited by richierein, 05 April 2012 - 06:04 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:10 PM

Posted 06 April 2012 - 06:07 AM

Hi,there come a time when everything becomes useless ,the time is now for that laptop,
it might be possible to install winxp on it ,but it would not be worth the price of the winxp,
even if you could find a unused xp on e-bay, what would the laptop even be used for ,maybe you could but a Linux version on it .
I use to load those old things up with boating charts ,and sell them ,but there not even good for that anymore

Edited by caperjac, 06 April 2012 - 06:11 AM.

My answers are my opinion only,usually

#3 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2012 - 09:29 PM

You could try Puppy Linux Live CD (128 MB).
Download the Lupu-528.005.iso and burn it to a CD to make it bootable. Don't know how? See here.
Run the Live CD to see if it is compatible with the laptop's hardware, internet connection, etc. If it's compatible and you like it, it can be installed on the hard drive via the CD. Nothing to loose but a little time and a blank CDR.

Regards,
Brooks

#4 kisk

kisk

• Members
  • 339 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:10 PM

Posted 09 April 2012 - 12:21 PM

Another good lightweight linux distro configured to run well on OLD systems is antiX
Posted Image

#5 richierein

richierein
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 379 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2012 - 02:37 PM

Thank you everyone. :thumbup2:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users