Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

svchost.exe memory issue

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 zacharycat

zacharycat

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:46 AM

Posted 05 April 2012 - 02:55 PM

Hi- 1st time posting, found this site on search engine. I am having a problem very similar to Eastwood discussed in http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic447610.html which seems to be closed. Just downloaded GMER but will run later as I'm still running Windows MSRT (very slow). Task manager shows svchost.exe running as much as 100 CPU at times and comp freezes. Right now down under 5 CPU but memory is over 1,200,000 K, pages load slow and comp runs noisy. Rebooting stops this but as soon as I get online it starts again. tried stopping Windows and Microsoft updates as recommended elsewhere (seems to be common problem) but doesn't help. Running XP on a 5 years old desktop.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 zacharycat

zacharycat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:46 AM

Posted 05 April 2012 - 04:04 PM

Ran GMER and it found TDL4@MBR rootkit. Removed it with TDSSkiller.exe from kaspersky, rebooted, and all seems fine (for now). I have spent over a week looking for solutions, more in the last few days as the problem seemed to grow worse. After dozens of sites suggested things that did nothing and sometimes made things worse, it's a relief to finally find a place with useful information. If all stays well it probably saved me an expensive repair as well as down time on a machine I use for work.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users