Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

YouTube videos stop buffering/freeze!

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Sparky8211

Sparky8211

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:50 AM

Posted 05 April 2012 - 02:44 PM

Hello all. I'm at my wits end with this problem. I really hope some one can help.

About 3 weeks ago this problem developed. When watching a video on YouTube it will stop loading and the video will freeze with the circluar 'buffering symbol'. I can see the gray progress bar stop at the bottom of the video. Sometimes this will happen after as long as 5-10 mins and sometimes after 5 seconds. Refreshing the page does not seem to help as the video will stop in the same place. BBC iPlayer seems to work fine though. I also have a good internet speed. Running multiple speed tests I get about 7.7 mbs.

Now here are the things I've tried to fix the problem:

Tried on multiple computers including a Mac running Snow Leopard. Still the same problem.
Tried multiple browsers (FireFox, Palemoon, IE9 and Chrome).
Updated Flash to latest version.
Cleared internet cache and removed cookies.
Reset router.
Played with router settings - Wireless channel, turned off firewall and even a hard
reset.
Connected with cable directly to router and disabling wireless function.
Tried a completely different router.
Tried swapping internet/phone line filter.
Called my ISP and they say they aren't shaping/filtering network traffic and say I have a good network connection with about 7mbs line although there are a few 'faults on the line' but they shouldn't affect the connection speed.

Does anyone have any ideas? I really don't know what to do other than change ISP or get another phone socket put it. Both of which will be expensive and I can't really afford.

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:50 AM

Posted 05 April 2012 - 06:29 PM

Running multiple speed tests I get about 7.7 mbs.

Hi Sparky -
I have just run SpeedTest on my system and I get just over 14 Mbps, but there are still a few times I suffer from buffering / stalling -
My Internet Provider has just given me a new router and upped my speed plan but this is still the best I can get

To fully remove the "buffering" you will need a speed over 15 Mbps on average (many here can get up to 40 or 50 Mbps downloads)

A New "Good" router is the first thing that you need, followed by (I hate to say) upgrading your internet plan (or provider)

Regards -
Extra -
Download TFC Cleaner to your desktop and run it from there -
Double click on the icon (Black Garbage can) > click Start > This will shut down any open programs, so please make sure all is saved> Always Reboot after you run this tool to be sure it has completed its job -
TFC only cleans temp folders. TFC will not clean URL history, prefetch, or cookies. Depending on how often someone cleans their temp folders, their system hardware, and how many accounts are present, it can take anywhere from a few seconds to a minute or more. TFC will completely clear all temp files where other temp file cleaners may fail. TFC requires a reboot immediately after running.

Edited by noknojon, 05 April 2012 - 06:54 PM.

#3 Sparky8211

Sparky8211
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2012 - 01:41 AM

Thanks for the reply. I can't understand why this problem has just started in the last few weeks though. Before that YouTube worked fine. Also, I have a new Belkin N+ router, so I'm pretty sure that's not the problem.

I did notice that by right clicking a YouTube video and selecting show speed I could be big spikes where the buffering goes from over a MB to 0 every few seconds.

Regards,

Mark

#4 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2012 - 03:10 AM

Hi again -
If you would like us to have a look at this problem, here are a few things that you can do -

Please post a snapshot with Speccy -
How to Publish a snapshot with Speccy <<-- Directions

Please download MiniToolBox, save it to your desktop and run it.
Checkmark the following checkboxes:

•Flush DNS
•Report IE Proxy Settings
•Reset IE Proxy Settings
•Report FF Proxy Settings
•Reset FF Proxy Settings
•List content of Hosts
•List IP configuration
•List last 10 Event Viewer log
•List Installed Programs
•List Users, Partitions and Memory size.
•List Minidump Files
Click Go and post the result (Result.txt). A copy of Result.txt will be saved in the same directory the tool is run.

Note: When using "Reset FF Proxy Settings" option Firefox should be closed.

Thank you -

#5 Sparky8211

Sparky8211
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2012 - 07:17 AM

Thanks. I'll get on it asap. :)

#6 Sparky8211

Sparky8211
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2012 - 07:26 AM

Thanks noknojon. Here is the info you asked for.

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/RlWYZn44QUXUYBxDiCWywJr

Many thanks.

Sparky

Attached Files

#7 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2012 - 12:31 AM

Hi -
Sorry for being a bit slow (too many Easter Eggs) -

Antivirus: Disabled ? Your AVG is installed but not registering - Please update it -

Graphics card = GeForce 8800 GTS
Temperature: 67 °C Running a bit high - When was the last time you cleaned out the computer ??

µTorrent (TCP-In)
Path: C:\Program Files\uTorrent\uTorrent.exeµTorrent (UDP-In)
Path: C:\Program Files\uTorrent\uTorrent.exe - -
These "may" slow the system just a bit, plus they are never reccomended -

2 Drive c: () (Fixed) (Total:148.91 GB) (Free:26.09 GB) - - You could try to free a bit of space in C drive (unless it was a CD)

Hosts content: Empty - Reset Hosts file HERE You need it (M/soft Fixit) Click Run > and follow any directions -

Other than those items your system is about as good as you can get it at this time

Post back if the problem seems to get any worse -

Regards -

#8 Sparky8211

Sparky8211
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2012 - 01:42 PM

Hey thanks for all the help. I've done all the fixes you suggested. Sadly, I'm still having problems with YouTube not working. I have also tried playing YouTube on my girlfriend's laptop (Windows 7) and my Dad's Apple Mac (Lion) and no luck there either. I'm completely confused now. Do you think that my internet service provider could be blocking/filtering content from YouTube? I have a good connection (approx 7mb) but notice the videos stop loading completely after about a few minutes. I do watch a lot of YouTube so am suspicious that my ISP is filtering my network traffic.

Thanks again for all your help, really appreciated.

Mark

#9 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2012 - 05:09 PM

I have also tried playing YouTube on my girlfriend's laptop (Windows 7) and my Dad's Apple Mac
Sadly, I'm still having problems with YouTube not working.

Hi Sparky
I can only add that at a download speed of only 7Mbps you will always have slower downloads
Is accessing this site any problem or do you get a bit of "waiting" time while you connect ??

Do you live in a rural or semi rural area (well outside of a major city) that would have older copper wire telephone cables ??
I doubt that your ISP is blocking your downloads as that would mean less income for them (please list your ISP) -

Since this is the same with several computers, try a speed test at 5.00 AM - I assume download speed is about the same on all units -
If you never get above 7Mbps on a test, you will need to upgrade your plan (as I have from 6 or 7 Mbps to 14 Mbps) and I still get buffering -

See if your ISP has a Boost Plan, but never use those fix-it boosters advertised on internet sites. They do not work -

Thank Tou -

#10 Sparky8211

Sparky8211
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2012 - 06:29 AM

Thanks for the reply. Though it's not the fastest connection I never have any problems accessing websites - just YouTube. Also the problem suddenly started about 3 weeks ago. My ISP is Utilities Warehouse. I think I'll give them another ring. Thanks again for all your help.

Mark

#11 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2012 - 06:33 AM

Just doing a background check on your ISP now - :busy:

Which plan is this one ?? -

Who do I call if I have a problem?
You can call our customer service team on 0844 815 7777 (calls cost 5p per minute or are free to Value and Premium members using our phone services).

Edited by noknojon, 10 April 2012 - 06:49 AM.

#12 Sparky8211

Sparky8211
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2012 - 07:12 AM

Wow, thanks. :) We are on the Phone and Standard Broadband package.

#13 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2012 - 10:08 PM

Utilities Warehouse - Phone and Standard Broadband package
FREE technical support available - FREE anytime calls to Utility Warehouse landlines -
Ideal when there's one main internet user in the household who wants to shop online, watch some video content and download music.

Very cheap deal from what I can see - This may be a "Second User" setup, where you actually connect to another network via U/Warehouse

Checking back on errors = 3. Check and repair the file system by running CHKDSK. To run CHKDSK, click Start, click Run, type CMD, and then click OK.
At the command prompt, type chkdsk /r, and then press ENTER. You will be prompted to check next session / Yes / reboot -

I think you mentioned there was more than one user for this line, make sure there is only one at a time -
Remove all other connections prior to doing any SpeedTest on your line (5.00 AM is the best time to do a SpeedTest) -

#14 NpaMA

NpaMA

• Members
  • 635 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:50 PM

Posted 10 April 2012 - 10:24 PM

To fully remove the "buffering" you will need a speed over 15 Mbps on average (many here can get up to 40 or 50 Mbps downloads)

Um, no.

To do a basic (360p) video on YouTube you need 768kb/s or .7mb/s. I believe YouTube HD runs at 2.8-3.2mb/s. - All are in bits, not bytes.

For both of you, I'd recommend trying the following...

1) Open up command prompt and type "ipconfig /flushdns" (without quotes)and press enter.

2) Clear your firefox/internet explorer history.

If those two things do not work, try changing your DNS servers from your ISPs to Google or OpenDNS based ones. The IPs for Google and OpenDNS are..
Google: 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4
OpenDNS: 208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220

For instructions on how to change your DNS servers, see: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Change-TCP-IP-settings

If that doesn't fix it, I do not know what else would. But you certainly do not need a 15mb/s+ connection to watch YouTube.

---
And before people jump on me screaming that changing DNS servers should not fix anything as all it does is translate the domain to an IP....Many servers these days, especially for a site on the level of YouTube, use GeoIP and Anycast based servers. DNS Servers cache the IP, and may be giving out an IP to a server or network that is severely congested. Of course, since it's cached in the local DNS server - it does not contact Google's name servers to get the IP address and thus is routed through congested links and not the IP address Google servers would assign due to load balancing, etc.

When you change DNS servers, you may get IP addresses that are in different data centers then the previous one.

#15 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2012 - 10:55 PM

Thank you for this -
I still get some small videos that will not direct download (usually over 15 mins) without brief stalling, so I will try your idea -
Anything less than 15 mins I have no problem with it direct playing, 5 min videos play without any problem, usually only 20 + min videos -

Might be time to review / update drivers for the graphics card too :wink:

Thanks NpaMA -

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users