Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Intermittent Internet Access - Firewall Issue?

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Peter.Ward

Peter.Ward

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:46 PM

Posted 05 April 2012 - 12:15 PM

Hi all,

I am having problems with my Broadband internet. I should start by saying it is not a browser problem (I assume) as I have tried i.e. and Chrome.

Ever since I got connected to Virgin, my internet connection has been intermittent. Sometimes the machine will stay on line for several hours, more often a matter of minutes. It will then go offline, maybe for minutes, maybe for longer. This afternoon it was off for an hour. If I reboot it usually starts off online but the problems resume within minutes.

Often, it will be fine whilst it is sitting on Google but when I try to connect, say, to Hotmail or eBay or Facebook, it dies.

I bought this computer second hand at the time I got Virgin, so have no way of knowing whether it is the computer or Virgin. Initially I contacted Virgin and they remotely took over the system and did something with the Firewall (I know nothing about these things!). When I run Network Diagnostics I either get a message saying my connection has been restored, or the following message:

“Windows cannot connect to the internet using HTTP, HTTPS, or FTP. This is probably caused by Firewall settings on this computer.

Check the firewall settings for HTTP port (80), HTTP port (443) and FTP port (21).

You might need to contact your Internet Service Provider (ISP) or the manufacturer of your firewall software.”

This may as well be Greek to me as I just can't get my head around computers as much as I try! And, as I said before, I have contacted my ISP – Virgin but to no avail.

Finally, maybe I should mention that I have Bit Defender working in real time and SuperAntiSpyware and MalwareBytes which I use to scan the machine regularly.

Any suggestions would be very gratefully received – if delivered in a way that a 5-year old could understand!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users