Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

mini 10

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 RacefanofJr

RacefanofJr

• Members
  • 316 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:02 AM

Posted 05 April 2012 - 11:43 AM

Hey all !
I have a Dell Inspiron, mini 10 laptop with Windows XP, and a Gig of RAM, updated to SP3.
One day I went to updrade the RAM in the laptop from 1GB, to 2GB. Should be simple.....NOT !
Ya have to take the motherboard out to do this. GRRRR ! I took out the m-board, put in a 2GB stick and put it all back together. When I started up the laptop, eveything worked great except the touchpad and the keyboard. No response at all from them.Took it back apart to make sure I put it together right, and I had. Put it back together again and got the same results. I decided that maybe the RAM was bad so I got another 2GB stick, took the laptop apart and put in a different stick. I ended up with the same results. Touchpad and keyboard.....dead. I thought I'd put the original 1GB stick back in and see if that was it. NOPE ! Same result. Is there a magic switch somewhere that I don't know about ? Is there a secret combination of buttons to push that turn the touchpad and keyboard off ? I read on a thread that someone suggested to push the FN and F7 or F9 buttons. That did nothing either.
They are hooked up right. Ya can not get them mixed up. Anyone run into this before ?
The measure of man's real character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:02 AM

Posted 06 April 2012 - 03:28 AM

The ribbon connector for the keyboard and touchpad is the main thing you need to check if they got damaged. I understand that they are quite sensitive and make sure they are locked on the connector properly.

Tekken

#3 RacefanofJr

RacefanofJr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 316 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2012 - 04:50 AM

I hooked up an external mouse and keyboard and they both worked so I guess that both the ribbon cables are damaged. They must be very sensitive ! I will search the universe to see about getting new ones.
The measure of man's real character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

#4 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:02 AM

Posted 06 April 2012 - 05:18 AM

Sorry to hear that but hopefully with all the connectors in place someone may chime in to check if there is a special key to enable both pad and keyboard. Can you check device manager for both?

Tekken

#5 RacefanofJr

RacefanofJr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 316 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2012 - 05:37 AM

Device manager says that everything is perfect. And the computer works perfect except it seems that the keyboard and mouse pad just died. GRRRRR

#6 RacefanofJr

RacefanofJr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 316 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2012 - 02:58 PM

Tried new drivers and tried system restore.....nothing !

#7 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:02 PM

Posted 09 April 2012 - 01:05 PM

I hope when you took it apart you released the connectors for the keyboard and mouse instead of just pulling the ribbons out and pushing them back in.

These may not be the exact match but do match what I remember form the memory upgrade on a Mini 10.
Complete service manual
http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/ins1010/en/sm/index.htm

Keyboard
http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/ins1010/en/sm/keyboard.htm#wp1188185

Touchpad
http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/ins1010/en/sm/palmrest.htm#wp1049587

Good Luck
Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#8 kisk

kisk

• Members
  • 339 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2012 - 01:11 PM

I suspect your ribbon cables are not fully engaged.

Edited by kisk, 09 April 2012 - 01:13 PM.

Posted Image

#9 RacefanofJr

RacefanofJr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 316 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2012 - 01:41 PM

When I pulled the cables out, I was very careful and undid the little clips on the sides. There is only one way the cables can go back in because of the factory bends in the cable. I guess I'm going to start by buying a new touchpad. I have made sure the ribbon cables were installed right.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users