I was wondering if anyone could help me with this. I'm unsure as to whether a virus is causing this or this is just a problem with my windows. I've gone through numerous attempts to solve this problem but all have either been denied half way through or just proven unsuccessful.
So what's happening? Internet explorer keeps bringing an error dialogue window to the front saying: "IE has stopped working, wait for response or close program", usual stuff. Now let me be clear I NEVER use IE, I dabble between Firefox and Chrome myself. I close the dialouge window and check task manager and find IE is still running in processes and only using about 5k of memory. I end the process tree and continue with whatever. But roughly every half hour or so the window pops up again and has been driving me nuts. So now I've been trying to uninstall IE from my computer and this is how it went:
- Tell friend about problem and recommends "Hijackthis". Upon trying it and removing all registry entries of IE (and some other files) I rebooted and found some of the files were still around and the problem persisted.
- Friend tells me to uninstall Windows 8 updates, which I did... Still no success.
- Google how to uninstall IE from Windows and try doing Control Panel >>> Uninstall Programs >>> Turn on or off windows features >>> The window that poped up should have shown me a bunch of folders but actually remained blank (even in safe mode). I'm perplexed as to why I don't see any folders (as administrator).
- Google other ways to uninstall and come across a cmd prompt which should do it. I tried it and got a few error windows saying I didn't have the correct permission for the files (I am definitely administrator and the only user). So I tried changing the permissions of the IE files and got blocked yet again but error messages saying "Access denied". I can't change anyone's permissions for IE through properties option (System, admin etc.).
- Friend tells me about Kaspersky TDSS killer, which I find and obtain and run. It found 1 threat (Akamai net session related) which I told it to delete. The problem of IE bringing windows up persisted.
- I just said "Hell to it" and tried to pry Internet Explorer from my computers hands by trying to delete the program folder... Guess what... ACCESS DENIED (even in safe mode).
I rebooted after every bullet point.
So I'm pretty much out of options now and I'm really hoping someone can help get this ghost out of my machine!