Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Defiant Internet Explorer

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 LasOz

LasOz

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:29 AM

Posted 05 April 2012 - 11:17 AM

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone could help me with this. I'm unsure as to whether a virus is causing this or this is just a problem with my windows. I've gone through numerous attempts to solve this problem but all have either been denied half way through or just proven unsuccessful.

So what's happening? Internet explorer keeps bringing an error dialogue window to the front saying: "IE has stopped working, wait for response or close program", usual stuff. Now let me be clear I NEVER use IE, I dabble between Firefox and Chrome myself. I close the dialouge window and check task manager and find IE is still running in processes and only using about 5k of memory. I end the process tree and continue with whatever. But roughly every half hour or so the window pops up again and has been driving me nuts. So now I've been trying to uninstall IE from my computer and this is how it went:

• Tell friend about problem and recommends "Hijackthis". Upon trying it and removing all registry entries of IE (and some other files) I rebooted and found some of the files were still around and the problem persisted.
  • Friend tells me to uninstall Windows 8 updates, which I did... Still no success.
  • Google how to uninstall IE from Windows and try doing Control Panel >>> Uninstall Programs >>> Turn on or off windows features >>> The window that poped up should have shown me a bunch of folders but actually remained blank (even in safe mode). I'm perplexed as to why I don't see any folders (as administrator).
  • Google other ways to uninstall and come across a cmd prompt which should do it. I tried it and got a few error windows saying I didn't have the correct permission for the files (I am definitely administrator and the only user). So I tried changing the permissions of the IE files and got blocked yet again but error messages saying "Access denied". I can't change anyone's permissions for IE through properties option (System, admin etc.).
  • Friend tells me about Kaspersky TDSS killer, which I find and obtain and run. It found 1 threat (Akamai net session related) which I told it to delete. The problem of IE bringing windows up persisted.
  • I just said "Hell to it" and tried to pry Internet Explorer from my computers hands by trying to delete the program folder... Guess what... ACCESS DENIED (even in safe mode).

I rebooted after every bullet point.

So I'm pretty much out of options now and I'm really hoping someone can help get this ghost out of my machine!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:29 PM

Posted 05 April 2012 - 06:13 PM

So I'm pretty much out of options now and I'm really hoping someone can help get this ghost out of my machine!

Hi LasOz -
It will never happen as long as you are running Windows as your Operating System -

Point 1 / Internet Explorer is a part of Windows (Bill Gates made it that way) -
Point 2 / I have always used Internet Explorer as my main browser 95% of the time and there are No Problems with it -
Point 3 / Why on Earth would anyone go to these lengths to remove part of their system that will just stay there and not hurt anything -
Point 4 / Your Windows system Needs the Windows Updates to correct any operating problems (and they are Free) -

""Upon trying it and removing all registry entries of IE (and some other files) I rebooted and found some of the files were still around and the problem persisted.""
Never play with Registry items unless you know exactly what they are connected to and always set Restore points first -
""Friend tells me to uninstall Windows 8 updates, which I did""
You need Windows Updates - What do you mean by Windows8 Updates ??

Many other points to add, but if you think that your computer is infected (Not by Internet Explorer) please post in the Malware Removal area of the forum and leave a link to this post

Please post any requested scans / logs in the introduction to that forum area -

Thank You if you bother to read my full reply - :hello:

#3 LasOz

LasOz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:29 AM

Posted 06 April 2012 - 07:33 AM

Hey, thanks for the reply.

Point 2 / I have always used Internet Explorer as my main browser 95% of the time and there are No Problems with it -

I said what I said because I thought I'd get the same old shtick from people: "You use IE, LOL Y U SO STOOPID?!". Personally I don't see much problem with it either, I've just given in to peer pressure to use anything but IE.

Point 3 / Why on Earth would anyone go to these lengths to remove part of their system that will just stay there and not hurt anything -

I try because I basically want this thing to stop. I only wanted to disable the browser as apposed to completely remove it at first. I posted my angst on this forum so someone could tell me whether my computer's been infected or this is a similar problem that someone has had and knows what's causing it.

Point 4 / Your Windows system Needs the Windows Updates to correct any operating problems (and they are Free) -
""Friend tells me to uninstall Windows 8 updates, which I did""
You need Windows Updates - What do you mean by Windows8 Updates ??

I guess I didn't make this clear and I even mistyped... I meant to say "Internet Explorer Updates". All my other windows updates are up and allowed to happen, it was yet another suggestion from my friend which I frankly didn't understand (how would uninstalling an updater deactivate IE?).

Many other points to add, but if you think that your computer is infected (Not by Internet Explorer) please post in the Malware Removal area of the forum and leave a link to this post

That's the thing... I'm unsure as to whether it's Malware or not. I've had similar problems in the past and some of them have just been due to things mainly software and hardware related, with no involvement of spyware, malware, viruses etc.

Please post any requested scans / logs in the introduction to that forum area -

"Request" a scan?

Thank You if you bother to read my full reply - :hello:

Wouldn't I not reading it defeat the purpose of this entire thread anyway? :wink:
Thanks for the feed back.

#4 Akthalian

Akthalian

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:29 AM

Posted 06 April 2012 - 01:03 PM

If you are having issues with Internet Explorer (that are not related to a malware infection) the first thing I would do is restore Internet Explorer to default settings.

Open Internet options

This can be done by going to Start---> Run and typing: inetcpl.cpl or by opening Control Panel and selecting "Internet Options"

Click on the advanced tab

Select the Reset option under: Reset Internet Explorer

This will disable all browser add ons and load default settings. If the issue persists after doing this, you may have an issue with component of Internet Explorer or possibly some bigger issue.

I would attempt the reset and let us know if the issue persists.
A+ Certified Support Technician

#5 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:29 PM

Posted 06 April 2012 - 05:20 PM

Hi again -
I think that point 1 is the most important item to pay attention to (the one you did not comment on) -
>>Point 1 / Internet Explorer is a part of Windows (Bill Gates made it that way) -

<< Personally I don't see much problem with it either, I've just given in to peer pressure to use anything but IE.>>
It is your computer not theirs, use what suits you, but do not wreck it in the process -

<<I guess I didn't make this clear and I even mistyped... I meant to say "Internet Explorer Updates". >>
Could this be a reason for I.E. not being up to its best ?? I.E.9 is now used for Windows7 -

<<That's the thing... I'm unsure as to whether it's Malware or not.>>
This is why there is a Free Malware inspection / removal area in the forum --- And in the Malware removal forum you are asked to post DDS or OTL logs, but all directions are given in the introduction section - This is only so an expert helper can see if there are problems with the computers system -

<Thanks for the feed back.>
That is no problem, as we are only trying to assist you with enquiries and advice, if we can - :)

Thanks for reading, and for your reply -

Note that the above comments by Akthalian may also help you to reset I.E to basics and then please update to I.E.9

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users