Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Corrupt System Files or Virus ?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 sykomac

sykomac

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:18 PM

Posted 05 April 2012 - 09:01 AM

Good day to all.

My daughter has a Gateway laptop running Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit. We have 4gig RAM installed.

The other day she tried to create a folder on the desktop. However, she was not able to do that and was also not able to click on any icon on the desktop at all.

She restarted the computer and it seemed to fix itself. However, the next day it happened again.

Does this sound like a corrupt system file or a virus? We have PC Tools Internet Security on her laptop and it says there are no viruses.

Also, not sure if this is related, but the computer takes over 15 minutes to shut down. Actually, I don't know exactly how long it takes because after 15 minutes she gets frustrated and just holds down the power button to force it to shut down.

There are no updates available - we have checked and it says there are none.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Paul

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:18 AM

Posted 05 April 2012 - 09:46 PM

Hello - First -
PCMag.com review on PC Tools Internet Security 9.0 "Minor edits for space"
November 28, 2011
Pros
Good malware cleanup, malware blocking. Toolbar blocks dangerous websites. Simple, accurate spam filter. Actively blocked many exploits. Low price.
Cons
Takes almost 1GB of disk space. Low ratings from independent test labs. Firewall program control relies on decisions by uninformed users. More impact on performance than most.
Bottom Line
It's surpringly big, though, and it noticeably slowed my performance tests.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I much prefer Microsoft Security Essentials Free due to its scanner and settings
Also I combine this with Malwarebytes Anti-malware Free for a complete scanner system -
If you try both these programs (remove PC Tools Internet Security first) and still have similar problems, please post in >> Am I Infected Forum <<, and read the instructions first for a review of your problems

Thank You -

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users