Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Defender is gone

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 BracGypsy

BracGypsy

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:33 AM

Posted 05 April 2012 - 12:56 AM

Hi

I lost Windows Defender. Yeap it's gone, poof. I had a few Trojans pop in last week. It was the Sirefef.p, and a few others I can't remember their other names. They did a dance all over my PC. I think I have gotten rid of all of them. Now just trying to get back what they took.

I had an Error code "0x80070424" with my Firewall. I followed these instructions here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic436057.html and what "Gringo" posted worked like a charm. My Firewall is back up and running now. Great job Gringo.

But my Windows Defender isn't working. It isn't even in my PC any-longer. These Trojans even uninstalled my Microsoft Security Essentials. Bad boys there were... But I got that reinstalled. So I am OK there.

I just need to know how to get my Windows Defender back up and running. And what ever else we can find wrong.

I am using Windows 7 Home Premium.

Thanks so much.
BracGypsy

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:33 PM

Posted 05 April 2012 - 02:21 AM

Install Microsoft Security Essentials - MSE includes defender

Quoted From M/soft -

What is your current Antivirus program and is Windows7 Firewall now turned on ??

#3 BracGypsy

BracGypsy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2012 - 11:58 AM

noknojon,

I am using Microsoft Security Essentials, I got that back up and running to!! and YES my Firewall is back up now, I used what Gringo published on this site { I posted the URL in my first posting}. Now I need Windows Defender back up. I tried downloading Windows Defender for Windows 7 32 bit from the Microsoft Windows site, but it said my PC isn't compatible. I am running Windows 7 Home P. 32 bit.

Thanks very much for your reply.

Linda

P.S. Just reread what you said about "MSE includes defender". OK then that means I am good.. Right? Thanks...

Edited by BracGypsy, 05 April 2012 - 01:07 PM.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,127 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2012 - 08:02 AM

Q: Is Microsoft Security Essentials designed to replace Windows Defender?

A: No but if you are running Microsoft Security Essentials, you do not need to run Windows Defender. Microsoft Security Essentials is designed to disable Windows Defender in order to manage the PCs real-time protection, including anti-virus, rootkits, Trojans and spyware.

The function...is included within MSE, there is no need for a separate install of Windows Defender...that's how I interpret it.

Per http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/protect_start/windows-defender-and-microsoft-security-essentials/5309cb8d-02e1-40e8-974f-0dcedb9ab9fd .

Louis

#5 BracGypsy

BracGypsy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2012 - 09:17 PM

Q: Is Microsoft Security Essentials designed to replace Windows Defender?

A: No but if you are running Microsoft Security Essentials, you do not need to run Windows Defender. Microsoft Security Essentials is designed to disable Windows Defender in order to manage the PCs real-time protection, including anti-virus, rootkits, Trojans and spyware.

The function...is included within MSE, there is no need for a separate install of Windows Defender...that's how I interpret it.

Per http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/protect_start/windows-defender-and-microsoft-security-essentials/5309cb8d-02e1-40e8-974f-0dcedb9ab9fd .

Louis

Thanks hamluis, I'll remember that. Sorry I didn't get back with you guys sooner. I took a long weekend break away from everything, even my PC. 4 days without my PC, that was hard... :) Ok, I think i am good then. If I need anymore help, I know where to come to!! :)

Thanks again guys.

Linda!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users