Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Flash Drive

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Lily Livered

Lily Livered

• Members
  • 137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:38 AM

Posted 21 February 2006 - 04:02 PM

If I save Everest and anti-malware programs to a flash drive, will those programs then be able to be used properly and fully on any computer in which I stick the flash drive?

Thanks.
Dell Inspiron 6000--Mobile Intel Pentium M 730J/1.60GHz--512MB--60 or 80GB HD, can't remember for sure--wireless--XP Home SP2
AVG--ZoneAlarm--Ad-Aware SE--Spybot S&D--SpywareBlaster--SpywareGuard--Ewido--a-squared--CCleaner--HJT--IE and Firefox

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:38 PM

Posted 22 February 2006 - 05:36 AM

The more I think about that question the less simple the answer gets... It depends on how the program authors handle the copyright and registration process. But with most freeware there are no complications. If you can download an installer program, for example the current version of Spybot Search and Destroy spybotsd14.exe, then that can be saved to your flash drive and copied onto another computer. Once on the other computer you run it to install the program and it is just the same as though you had downloaded it on that PC.
E.g. Ewido can be downloaded from http://www.ewido.net/en/download/ . The file you recieve is ewido-setup.exe which can be used to install ewido on another PC. Whether it can be used on that PC depends on the operating system, because ewido is only compatible with Windows 2000, NT and XP machines.
Continuing with the example of ewido, you can also download the latest anti-malware updates from http://www.ewido.net/en/download/updates/ and copy those to your flash drive to transfer to the other PC. When ewido is installed on the problem PC you can then do a manual update of ewido using this file and you will have the latest anti-malware package ready to run without the PC being connected to the internet at any stage.
Note that you are not running the anti-malware programs from the flash drive, that is simply a medium used to transfer the installer and an update file.
hth :thumbsup:

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#3 Lily Livered

Lily Livered
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 137 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2006 - 03:08 PM

Thank you very much for your reply, Rimmer.

I was asking that question because my mother's computer is really messed up. I was trying to update some of her malware programs and get a few more for her, but kept getting errors and "this program will now close" messages. Heck, I couldn't even run a PandaScan or TrendMicro, kept getting "Microsoft Int. Expl. has encountered a problem and needs to close". So I thought if I could put some of the programs on a Flash, then I might be able to get somewhere with getting her pc cleaned up.

I can't even do a Windows Update for her, because I kept getting the message "This program has performed an illegal op and will shut down." The only one of her malware programs that would work was Ad-Aware (of which, she only had 2).

Spybot won't update, said "Bad Checksum".

Can't seem to get anywhere helping her. Tried the above things over and over and kept getting NOTHING but those darn error type messages. Sometimes it would just close and the homepage would automatically open back up.

I didn't realize that the Flash would only be used to TRANSFER the program ONTO another computer. I thought I might be able to run them FROM the Flashdrive, but you've answered that for me. So, I'll see what I can do now armed with that knowledge.

I was trying to see if any of the malware programs would clear her up before posting her HJT log.

Thanks again for taking the time to reply. I appreciate it.
Dell Inspiron 6000--Mobile Intel Pentium M 730J/1.60GHz--512MB--60 or 80GB HD, can't remember for sure--wireless--XP Home SP2
AVG--ZoneAlarm--Ad-Aware SE--Spybot S&D--SpywareBlaster--SpywareGuard--Ewido--a-squared--CCleaner--HJT--IE and Firefox

#4 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:38 AM

Posted 22 February 2006 - 03:36 PM

Both spybot and ad aware can be run from a flash drive.

just locate the folders in C:\program files, and copy the complete program folders onto the flash drive !after you have gotten the latest updates!

then locate the exe files for these programs and double click. they take longer to load, but both work ok, both in 386 enhanced and safe mode.
The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#5 Lily Livered

Lily Livered
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 137 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2006 - 04:28 PM

Okay! Thanks, oldf@rt.

#6 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:38 AM

Posted 22 February 2006 - 05:26 PM

:thumbsup: You are welcome.
The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#7 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2006 - 08:29 PM

Whichever way you choose to do it I'd suggest you run every anti-malware program you have available in Safe Mode. Then they have the best chance of cleaning that machine. See if the installed anti-virus software will work in Safe Mode too.

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#8 Lily Livered

Lily Livered
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 137 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2006 - 09:31 AM

Thanks Rimmer. You're always so helpful!

If I can't get anywhere, due to all the illegal operation errors, etc. and decide I'd better let the HJT techs have a look at it, is it okay to just post there without a referral or suggestion to do so?

Also, I did already do a (HJT) Scan and Save Report, but the saved log wouldn't open. So I did a screenshot so that I could type out the log so I could post it. Will that work for them or not?

Thanks again!

#9 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2006 - 04:57 PM

You're welcome. :thumbsup:

You don't need a referral to post to the HJT forum, all they ask is you follow the preparation guideleines carefully:
'Preparation Guide'

Type out an HJT log!? :flowers: IF that's the only option then I guess you have to do that but any typos could mess up the whole process. I'd suggest you have another look at why you couldn't get the original text file to open. Can you copy the original file to another computer and open it there?

#10 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2006 - 01:54 AM

With that much corrupted on the computer you may just have to do a fresh install of Windows.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users