Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problem with my external HD

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Spuds MacKenzie

Spuds MacKenzie

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:00 PM

Posted 04 April 2012 - 08:04 PM

Hey folks,
I have and external hard drive that seems to be on the fritz lately. I tried to start up iTunes and my MacBook informed me that iTunes could not open because it was in already in use. I keep all my iTunes and media files on the external hard drive. So, I went to check out if any other programs were running, none were. I clicked on my external hard drive. I thought it may be a problem with iTunes, so I went to erase and format my external HD. I was told by disk utility that it couldnt complete the action because the external HD couldnt be unmounted and that it may be in use by another program. My folders appeared (iTunes, Music, and Videos) but when I clicked on them nothing was shown to be in the folders. The external HD is a 750 gb and when I click on the HD it tells me that i have 500 gb available (indicating that my files are still on the HD somewhere but for some reason won't open and are not visable to me) I have read where the files may be being "indexed"? I'm not really sure what that means, but I have I had the drive for about a year and it just started happening to me today. Any idea of what the issue with the HD is?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Curious Mew

Curious Mew

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:00 PM

Posted 04 April 2012 - 10:24 PM

Hello.

You do not want to format your External Hard Drive (EHD), doing so will cause you to lose everything on that drive! You are lucky that Disk Utility prompt came up, because that is not something you want to do.

While it is a good idea to keep your music on an EHD, I would recommend storing your music in two different places: one in your computer, and another in the EHD. This does two different things; helps the iTunes program identify music files quicker, and gives you two copies of your files (just in-case something bad happens to either drive).

EHD's are great for storage purposes, but programs do not seem to run as optimally towards files found on an EHD. iTunes must first read the files on the EHD before the program can give you any real control, the process usually takes a few seconds longer compared to files that are already stored directly on your computer.

I wish i could be more help, but the file index you are talking about seems to suggest that something might have happened to your files.. but I'm not exactly sure.

Edited by Curious Mew, 04 April 2012 - 10:42 PM.

#3 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:00 PM

Posted 05 April 2012 - 11:04 AM

Hi, Try restarting the computer. Test

If all OK I suggest copying the Itunes files back to the computer as a backup.
It isn't if a hard drive will die, it is when it will die.

Anything you don't want to lose should be in a minimum of two places and three is better. I have stuff on the computer, a external hard drive and High Quality DVD or BluRay discs that I burned, that I would hate to lose. Three places.

Indexing should not keep you from using your files. If that were the case it would be completely useless process.

Good Luck
Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users