Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

McAfee Grief

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,049 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:44 PM

Posted 04 April 2012 - 07:21 PM

Just did a clean install on my mini laptop, part of the bloat ware is McAfee. The last time I reloaded the mini I down loaded the McAfee removal tool I removed McAfee and used the tool to clean up the machine. I have done the self same thing this time but get an "Error obtaining full permission for cleanup". See log file for more details, when I click on the view logs I get " The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process. Kind of lost where to go with this.

Phil

Edited by OldPhil, 04 April 2012 - 07:21 PM.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,111 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2012 - 07:17 AM

Did you run the removal tool in normal or safe mode?

Did you right-click on the removal tool and and select Run As Administrator?

Note: The removal tool only works for McAfee Consumer (Home) Products. There are no removal tools for the Enterprise/Business products and according to the McAfee forums, their removal is more complicated if the Windows uninstaller fails.

If you're still having issues, then I recommend contacting McAfee Technical Support (Home and Home Office) which provides assistance with uninstall/install issues, error messages, downloading problems and other techincial questions. Mobile Security users, should refer to this link.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 Didier Stevens

Didier Stevens

• BC Advisor
  • 2,658 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:44 AM

Posted 05 April 2012 - 09:04 AM

Are you familiar with Sysinternal's Process Explorer? It allows you to search for handles (like open files) open in processes. This way you can identify which process is opening the file.
Then you can decide if you can stop the process (stop the application), or close the handle (could cause the applciation to malfunction).

Didier Stevens
http://blog.DidierStevens.com
http://DidierStevensLabs.com

SANS ISC Handler
Microsoft MVP 2011-2016 Consumer Security, Windows Insider MVP 2016-2018
MVP_Horizontal_BlueOnly.png

If you send me messages, per Bleeping Computer's Forum policy, I will not engage in a conversation, but try to answer your question in the relevant forum post. If you don't want this, don't send me messages.

Stevens' law: "As an online security discussion grows longer, the probability of a reference to BadUSB approaches 1.0"

#4 narenxp

narenxp

• BC Advisor
  • 16,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:44 PM

Posted 05 April 2012 - 10:04 AM

Error obtaining full permission for cleanup

This error usually occurs if you run mcafee removal tool in safemode

If you get the same error in normal mode

go to C:\WINDOWS\Tasks

Delete MCPR Scheduled Task,restart the PC. Run McAfee Product Removal Tool again.

good luck

#5 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4,049 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2012 - 08:42 PM

I will try to answer in order.

Ran clean up in standard mode.
I do not have an admin setup.

MCPR does not appear in tasks.

I searched the web and came up with a tiny file on My Fixes called MCREM 2.1, I ran it it seems to have cleaned everything up. I have just down loaded MSE which looks to be running just fine.

I will report back with how things go, the machine is an older Acer Mini with an SSD that I use just for reading the news at the diner table and for travel to check my mail. I run it lean with no MS updates just MSE and nothing else, it was running fine for just over two years but getting short on space. The older SSD's and XP lacked TRIM or I may have coasted along a bit longer.

Thanks for the input it is always appreciated!

Phil

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users