Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Vista not communicating with printer

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 swenb23

swenb23

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:45 PM

Posted 04 April 2012 - 05:16 PM

HI - I am in need of some help to get my Oki C5500 printer working again. I got help from here to get rid of malware on my computer and noticed afterward that my printer would no longer print. I have been in contact with microsoft for help, but they are none at all. I really think they are a bunch of idiots. Anyways, thought maybe someone here could be of assistance. I get error 0x00000057 when trying to print anything. I have uninstalled and reinstalled the printer and drivers half a dozen times to no avail.

Edited by hamluis, 05 April 2012 - 06:19 AM.
Moved from Vista to External Hardware.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,385 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2012 - 05:25 PM

Please post the entire onscreen content of the error message you received...and indicate exactly at what stage of your use...invokes the error message.

Louis

#3 swenb23

swenb23
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2012 - 05:50 PM

If I try to print a test page, I get this: Test page failed to print. Would you like to view the print troubleshooter for assistance. Operation could not be completed (error 0x00000057). I get similar messages when trying to print anything else. Sometimes I just get a message that says it is unable to print.

#4 swenb23

swenb23
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2012 - 06:17 PM

I should also note that it is only this printer. I do have a others installed and the other two that are currently in my office print fine.

#5 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,094 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:45 PM

Posted 05 April 2012 - 10:56 AM

Hi, You didn't mention how you are connecting to the printer?
Which Vista, 32Bit or 64Bit?

One thing to try uninstall the printer.
Unplug the printer from the computer (USB or Ethernet)
Install the driver
then plug in the printer.
Does the computer then see the printer?

One other thing to try. Create a new user profile and see if you can print from there?

Is this the driver you are trying to use? Or are you installing one from the server?

Driver Download Info
Download: C5X00GDWEA.exe
Revision: Version 2.2.0
Date: 10/21/2009
File Size: 6,312,512

Operating Systems:
Windows XP x64 Edition; Windows XP; Windows Vista x64 Edition; Windows Vista; Windows Server 2003 x64 Edition; Windows Server 2003; Windows 7 x64 Edition; Windows 7; Windows 2000

Good Luck
Roger

P.S. This may be a silly question but have you tested the printer?

Edited by rotor123, 05 April 2012 - 11:28 AM.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#6 swenb23

swenb23
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2012 - 11:47 AM

I can see the printer and it says it's in the ready state, I just can't print to it. I tried another user account and still can't print to that printer. I can't print to my Kodak printer, but not the OKI, which is the one I use for my business. I have tested the printer by connecting it to my laptop and I can print from that, so it has to be something with this computer. I have uninstalled and installed several times to no avail. And the driver you have listed is one that I have tried.

#7 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,094 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2012 - 12:08 PM

Are you connecting to it via USB or over the network?

Did you try the unhook the printer, uninstall / re-install then hook up the printer?

Cheers

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/

167 @ June 2015

#8 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,094 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2012 - 12:11 PM

OOps

Edited by rotor123, 05 April 2012 - 12:11 PM.

167 @ June 2015

#9 swenb23

swenb23
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2012 - 12:32 PM

I am hooked up via USB cable. I have tried installing with and without it hooked up with being on and off, etc.

#10 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,094 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2012 - 03:54 PM

Hi, By the time I've worked my way through the suggestions I made All the Okidata printers are working for me.

Have you searched the internet for the error message?

I suggest doing a full backup before do this since there is always a risk of damaging Windows. Make a colone or the drive or a drive image first.

But if there is nothing else by Okidata being used.....
Uninstall it, Then look everywhere Program Files, Application Data etc. (Search the drive) and delete anything from Okidata. Then try the install again. if good, then done!

++++++++++++

I'm afraid I can not think of anything else to try.
If I do think of anything else to try I'll pop back in.

Sorry I couldn't be of further help.
Roger

Edited by rotor123, 05 April 2012 - 04:13 PM.

167 @ June 2015

#11 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,946 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2012 - 08:45 PM

I looked at the thread where your computer was cleaned and I did notice that before you said that the printer was not running the Okidata service was started and running as the process

C:\Windows\system32\spool\DRIVERS\W32X86\3\OPHDLDCS.EXE

But after you reported the problem, I notice that the service is still installed on the computer but not running. This may be the problem.

O23 - Service: OKI OPHD DCS Loader - Oki Data Corporation - C:\Windows\system32\spool\DRIVERS\W32X86\3\OPHDLDCS.EXE

See if this service is running and if it is not, try starting it and let us know what happens.

I don't work with many Vista machines so someone else can correct me if this is not how to get to services in Vista.

On Windows 7 what I would do is click the Windows orb in the lower left corner (used to be the START button in XP) and in the Search Programs and Files textbox type
services
and you should see a link for services that says "Starts, stops and configures Windows services" when you float your mouse over it.

In there look for the service called
OKI OPHD DCS Loader
and see if it is started. If not try starting it and see if printing works. If it does we need to set it to start automatically again like it was before.

James

#12 swenb23

swenb23
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2012 - 09:22 PM

I started it manually and then set it to start automatically, but it didn't do the trick. I tried printing from Firefox and I get a printer error box that says "An unknown error occurred while printing". Behind that is the box that says it's printing and that says Vista not communicating with printer

#13 swenb23

swenb23
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2012 - 09:39 PM

It keeps switching itself back to manual start. How do I fix it so that it stays on automatic?

#14 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,946 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2012 - 09:48 PM

Hi

If starting it does not fix the problem then you probably want to keep it on manual.

I was expecting it to give you an error or not start the service or maybe even fix the problem :)

That is the only thing that I see related to the malware cleaning. I will look into this some more when I get a chance.

James

Edited by NeverSayDie, 05 April 2012 - 09:49 PM.

#15 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,094 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2012 - 09:57 AM

Thanks to James for suggesting this:
Try the revo uninstaller and see if it sees the Okidata
Revo Uninstaller Freeware
http://www.revouninstaller.com/revo_uninstaller_free_download.html

If still no luck then next steps.

Did you try deleting any Okidata folders leftover after uninstalling?

If that didn't work, there is one more thing you can try.

Warning back up the windows first. I have had success with this in the past to get software to install and work. It takes some time to do.

Since we know the actual windows printing system is working it has to be either left over folders with configuration data, likely in the users folders, or registry entry remnants.

There is one long shot and it could ruin the windows. I've never done it for a printer.
Since it involves editing the registry you would have to backup the whole drive, Image or Clone to another drive so it could be restored back if the process does trash the windows. Unless you are 110% positive you could backup and restore the entire registry if windows stopped working.

Then You would want to enter regedit, search for anything Okidata and the printer name, and delete them and then try the install again. But first you would want all the Okidata folders to be gone from the hard drive.

Don't forget to reboot before trying the install again.

Good Luck
Roger

Edited by rotor123, 06 April 2012 - 10:37 AM.

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users