Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help At Wits End Corrupted Error Message?!?!

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 wickedboy

wickedboy

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:06 AM

Posted 21 February 2006 - 02:28 PM

Hi im new here so ill be posting my Into next thing,

...but this problem has really got me stumped ive tried everything !

Ok heres the deal, when im playing games from the sims to quake 3 my PC just crashes and on reboot reports a hardware error. Which the opperating system XP pro sp2 tells me is due to a problem with either my motherboard ( biostar6100-m7 ) my ram ( ddr 1gb 400 pc3200 ) or my cpu ( sepron 3100+ 64 bit) all are brand new and the supplier tells me are compatable ive just replaced the PSU to one which is a 24 pin and 450 w

now this happens when im running games so ive considered my Geforce 6600 pci express 128mb ddr over heating but it only reaches a max temp of 63 running quake 3. My cpu runs on average at 30 and ive even tryed keeping the cover off the PC case!

Further to the error message after a few time restarting a Corrupted Error report surfaces which im told is very rare no one seems to know what thats about...

Ive downloaded PC rescue which repairs the corrupted files which it tells me are
ActiveX / Com files ( System32/a3d.dll and System32/a3dapi.dll are a regular file which are in need of fixing when it crashes )

Then everything is fine until it happens again seemingly at random (exept the 3d game operation)

this is the Stop message i recieve

STOP: 0x0000009C (0x00000004, 0x00000000, 0xb2000000, 0x00020151)
machine_check_exception

If anyone has any further questions, answers or theories please let me know nany thanks

WB

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 stidyup

stidyup

• Members
  • 641 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:06 PM

Posted 21 February 2006 - 02:57 PM

0x0000009C machine_check_exception

CAUSE
This behavior occurs because your computer processor detected and reported an unrecoverable hardware error to Windows XP. To do this, the processor used the Machine Check Exception (MCE) feature of Pentium processors or the Machine Check Architecture (MCA) feature of some Pentium Pro processors. The following factors may cause this error message:
System bus errors
Memory errors that may include parity or Error Correction Code (ECC) problems
Cache errors in the processor or hardware
Translation Lookaside Buffers (TLB) errors in the processor
Other CPU-vendor specific detected hardware problems
Vendor-specific detected hardware problems
STATUS
This behavior is by design.
MORE INFORMATION
A machine check exception occurs when Windows XP and your hardware platform cannot recover from a hardware error so that the system can continue to run successfully and reliably. More specific diagnosis of machine check exceptions is difficult, and there is no general solution. Contact your hardware manufacturer or a computer hardware technician for help with troubleshooting this issue.

Machine check exceptions are frequently caused by one of the following conditions:
You are running the processor or mainboard beyond its specifications. For example, you are overclocking the processor or bus. We recommend that you run your hardware at the manufacturer-rated speeds.
Noisy power, overstressed power strips, outmatched power supplies and failing power supplies can destabilize your computer. Make sure that you have a stable, reliable power supply to your computer.
Extreme thermal conditions caused by the failure of cooling devices such as fans may damage your computer. Make sure that your cooling devices are all working.
You have damaged memory or memory that is not the correct type for your computer. If you recently changed the memory configuration, revert to the previous configuration to determine what is wrong. Make sure that you are using the correct memory for your computer.
Note Your hardware may support additional error logging features that capture the machine check exception and suggest a more specific solution.

The Pentium and Pentium Pro processors provide a mechanism to detect and to report hardware-related problems such as memory parity errors and cache errors. To signal a hardware error, the processor signals the detection of a machine check error by generating a machine check exception (Interrupt 18). Windows XP reports that the error occurred and displays parameters that you can use to decode the exception. Contact your hardware vendor or processor manufacturer for information about the Machine Check Architecture, or see the Intel Pentium Pro Family Developer's Manual - Volume 3: Operating System Writer's Manual.

#3 wickedboy

wickedboy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2006 - 03:37 PM

That great ive just found the same page thanks for your help i had notified the supplier of the componants all the new one in fact and they tell me that its probably a over heating componant like my Graphics card or cpu but they seem fine ??

Reading the above document im stuck for how to solve this problem, any advice?

Im not running the cpu above its limitations as its quite a fast system any help?

#4 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2006 - 03:40 PM

Have you downloaded and installed all the Microsoft critical updates which include SP1 and SP2?

#5 wickedboy

wickedboy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2006 - 04:13 PM

Yes ive downloaded all the servise pack items the express utility chose,
why could his be a problem?

#6 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2006 - 05:06 PM

Because they address some vendor specific detected hardware problems.

Microsoft Support:
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=329284

#7 wickedboy

wickedboy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2006 - 05:25 PM

Thanks Enthusiast ill check to see if their are any more updates i havent got yet.

I was reading anouther post would a memeory dump be of any help eterming the problem also could it be a problem with Direct x ?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users