Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Going to Install Windows XP - Need some Help and Advice

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Thetranslator

Thetranslator

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:34 AM

Posted 04 April 2012 - 06:30 AM

I have a Toshiba Laptop - Satellite L350-20G it came with Windows Vista Pre- installed
There were 2 partitions, the Vista partition and another partion for the Recovery

I made another Partion from the Recovery and Installed Windows 7 for a Dual boot

- I would now like to get rid of Vista and Put windows XP ( Had Vista for 2 years and now FED UP WITH IT!)

- Can i put and install XP on my laptop?

Where / Are there XP Drivers for my Laptop?

Will my Windows 7 still work if i put XP on?

How hard is the process's - Any advice or tips?

Thank You

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,602 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2012 - 07:12 AM

Laptop drivers should always and only be obtained from the website of the laptop manufacturer. Visit there before doing anything else to make sure drivers are available. If they are, go ahead and boot to the XP CD and do as you wish.

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/8057-dual-boot-installation-windows-7-xp.html

#3 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2012 - 07:52 AM

Hi Thetranslator,

While I haven't personally attempted this, it can be done. Just to expand upon what Allan said.

Here is a link to Toshiba drivers. Just fill in the product type, model etc. for your computer and select Windows XP, then "Search." The site seemed to have the basic XP drivers; however, you should first verify this. http://ie.computers.toshiba-europe.com/innovation/download_drivers_bios.jsp?service=IE.

The typical way to dual boot WinXP with Win7 is to install the older operating system first (XP), followed by the newer (Win7). That's because WinXP won't recognize the the newer Win7 bootloader. That being said, it can be done in reverse. There is just an additional step.

Follow this link: Dual Boot Installation with Windows 7 and XP. Arrow down and read Option 2.

Know the sizes of your Win Vista and Win 7 partitions as you will want to install XP in the Win Vista partiton.
  • You can see the partition sizes by doing the following:
  • From within Window 7, click Start (orb), right click Computer, Manage, Disk Management.
  • Windows 7 creates a System Reserved partiton followed by (C: Healthy (boot, page file, crash dump, parimary partiton))
  • Identify the Recovery and Vista partitions. Make note of the size (GBs) of the Vista partiton for when you install XP.

This goes without saying, but make sure to backup any important data before attempting these operations.

Good luck.

Others who have done this may offer further suggestions.

Regards,
Brooks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users