Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Games choppy with more than enough computing power

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 DanielE415

DanielE415

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:11 PM

Posted 04 April 2012 - 01:53 AM

I have dual core 2.5 processors, a Nvidia 9500 GT, and a Sata hard drive all running on windows 7 32 bit. I know this is no where near a top of the line setup but it is choppy running 4 year old games! I almost double the recommended, not minimum, hardware requirements for "The Witcher" the game I am trying to get to play smoothly and yet it is still choppy. If I lower the settings completely it is playable but still not where it should be. I have updated my video drivers, cleaned my registry, reinstalled the game, scanned for viruses, using AVG free, and defragged my hard drive. From here I don't even know where to go. I left task manager running last time to see if my processors were maxing while playing and they hit around 80% and my ram peaked to about 70%.

Any help would be appreciated,
Daniel

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Compu-tar

Compu-tar

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:11 AM

Posted 04 April 2012 - 03:02 AM

How much ram does your PC have? What kind of dual core processor are we working with? Also, you have to remember that a games "minimum requirements" is the lowest possible hardware setup, to where the game could be playable on LOW settings. One thing to try is to lower your Anti Aliasing.
"They say one of a baby's first non-verbal forms communication is pointing. Clicking must be somewhere just after that."

Ben

-Certified Computer Technician-

#3 DanielE415

DanielE415
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2012 - 01:09 PM

It has the E5200 Intel dual core processors with an Intel mother board and 4gbs of ram. I am not sure what speed the ram is. Here are the system requirements for the game. When I copy and pasted this I saw it was made for xp/vista could it be that I am running it on windows 7?

Minimum System Requirements:
CPU: Intel Pentium 4 2.4GHz or AMD Athlon 64 +2800
RAM: 1 GB RAM for Microsoft® Windows® XP / 1536 MB for Microsoft® Windows® Vista
VGA: 128 MB Video RAM or greater with DirectX9 Vertex Shader/ Pixel Shader 2.0 support (NVIDIA GeForce 6600 or ATI Radeon 9800 or better)
DX: DirectX 9.0c
OS: Microsoft® Windows® XP Service Pack 2, Vista (Operating System must be up to date with the latest fixes)
HDD: 8.5 GB available hard drive space
Sound: DirectX 9.0c compliant soundcard, plus speakers or headphones
ODD: DVD-Rom

Recommended System Requirements:
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo 2.13 GHz or AMD X2
RAM: 2 GB RAM
VGA: NVIDIA GeForce 7900 GTX or ATI Radeon X1950 PRO
DX: DirectX 9.0c
OS: Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 2, Vista (Operating System must be up to date with the latest fixes)
HDD: 8.5 GB available hard drive space
Sound: DirectX 9.0c compliant soundcard, plus speakers or headphones
ODD: DVD-Rom

#4 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:11 PM

Posted 04 April 2012 - 09:16 PM

I have updated my video drivers, cleaned my registry,

May I ask "How you cleaned your Registry" - It will not get dirty so it will not require "cleaning"
You can Delete old programs, Defrag the drive, and use Disc cleanup (all installed on your system now)

Do you mean that you have a registry cleaner program installed, and if so what is the program name ??

With running earlier games and applications, there is a M/soft program to check if they are suitable for Windows7 -

Have you checked the temperatures, as this can be raised by installing certain software ??
Do you know how much Free Space you have on your system ??

Thank You -

#5 Compu-tar

Compu-tar

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:11 AM

Posted 05 April 2012 - 12:32 AM

Honestly to me it doesn't sound like anything is broken, or needs fixing. I just think you're gonna have to play that game on lower settings until you look into buying a new system, or upgrading the GPU at least
"They say one of a baby's first non-verbal forms communication is pointing. Clicking must be somewhere just after that."

Ben

-Certified Computer Technician-

#6 DanielE415

DanielE415
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2012 - 02:52 AM

I used "CC 'cleaner.'" That's where I got the word clean from.

How would I check the temperatures? That being asked... no I haven't. According to Steam, the company now selling the game, it is fine to run on windows 7. My concern was if it would increase what the game would require to run because it uses more resources, if it does.

I have a little over 300gbs on a 500gb hard drive available.

If it ran without any physical lag on the lowest settings I would be happy. It just seems from my little understanding of computers, a system that well exceeds the "recommended" system requirements, should at least be able to play the game with out it slowing down and going crazy when I use certain potions or having to try to time attacks with the lag from having more than four enemies around.

I downloaded malware bytes and ran a scan with that as well; it had no hits. I did however notice I had 15 "svchost.exe" running in my processes. They took up very little resources while I watched them but I was just curious if that was normal. I know it is a little off topic but when I googled it people seemed to write it off unless they were taking up good amounts of resources.

#7 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:11 PM

Posted 05 April 2012 - 03:07 AM

http://www.filehippo.com/download_speedfan/download/4d9dd6c0fe2bb2a7bb4630658538d3ec/
Speedfan download from File Hippo, a very small program -

This monitors temps and CPU usage -

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users