Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Program set up/Program questions

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Vizardking

Vizardking

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:12 AM

Posted 04 April 2012 - 01:44 AM

Program/ set up questions
ok although i have never had a virus im just looking for some answers
i also got scammed by bestbuy into giving the 200$ for a Virus that wasn't on my computer

ok i download a lot of stuff and i mean a lot of stuff weekly
and im looking for a good setup right now this is what i have

Webroot complete trial version
Malwerbytes completely turned off using its settings and msconfig to avoid conflicts
Superantispywere completely turned off using its settings and msconfig to avoid conflics
Ccleaner use cleaner weekly-registry clean only if necessary
Secunia to Detect updates and patch stuff i do not use the downloads it provides
Sandboxie for things im iffy about

and my computers defragment

i was thinking about doing and want to do is

Bitdefender Internet Security
Malwerebytes
Ccleaner
Secunia
StartUpLite
sanboxie

some peopel said i should have a firewall but i donnt understand anything about that
but im looking for a sold set up and a permanent antivirus from all the research i have done the top 3 are and im still not completely sure
1 webroot complete
2 bitdefender internet security
3 Kasprsky pure

i dont want to keep using trials because its geting annoying and i hear it can screw ur computer up i use a Asus G74sx Laptop and im looking for opinions facts and advice are these programs ive listed a good idea bad idea should i stop using one or add another cause im going to start over and Restore to factory settings

i apologize ahead of time for any lack of spelling and grammar

Edited by Vizardking, 04 April 2012 - 01:53 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2012 - 05:05 AM

Let me get this straight. You're using trials of paid AVs? Do you know how crazy that is? It also assumes that paid AVs are better than free AVs just because you have to pay for them. It's not true. Something like Avira or Avast or MSE is just as good and frequently better than a paid AV.

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,490 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:12 AM

Posted 04 April 2012 - 06:22 AM

:welcome: to BC Vizardking

Choosing an Anti-Virus Program
Choosing a Firewall
Supplementing your Anti-Virus Program with Anti-Malware Tools
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#4 Vizardking

Vizardking
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2012 - 01:31 PM

Let me get this straight. You're using trials of paid AVs? Do you know how crazy that is? It also assumes that paid AVs are better than free AVs just because you have to pay for them. It's not true. Something like Avira or Avast or MSE is just as good and frequently better than a paid AV.

Avast Avira suck they did not work well for me and i have no idea what mse dose

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,490 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:12 AM

Posted 04 April 2012 - 01:49 PM

i have no idea what mse dose

Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE) is a free anti-malware solution that combines the features of an anti-virus and anti-malware scanner to provide real-time protection against viruses, spyware, and other malicious software. It was originally developed as a scaled-down version of and replacement for Windows OneCare (discontinued on September 29th 2009) and was aimed at users who either could not or did not want to pay for anti-virus and anti-malware software.

Microsoft Security Essentials software provides real-time antivirus and other protection for home PCs while helping to guard against spyware and other malicious software.

Microsoft Security Essentials Overview

Before installation, MSE checks for a validated copy of Windows and should disable Windows Defender on Vista and Windows 7 and uninstall it from XP since MSE provides protects against spyware. See Windows Defender and Microsoft Security Essentials for more information.

MSE auto-updates once every 24 hours. There is no setting within the program to change the scheduled time or frequency. For more specific information about the automatic updating process, please refer to the MSE Definitions/Signatures Update FAQ. However, you can always follow these instructions to manually install the latest MSE updates from the Microsoft Malware Protection Center Portal.

Microsoft Resources:Other Resources:MSE Reviews:
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users