Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Up-to-date Offline Virus Check For Win98 Computer

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 dwsolo

dwsolo

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:59 AM

Posted 21 February 2006 - 12:19 PM

Hi
A friend of mine will be coming over with her Win98 computer on Sunday for me to "tune it up" offline. I have lots of useful software for this but I would like to be sure that I have the latest virus definitions to check that side of things for her (she does use the computer online at home but her access is somewhat restricted and she has been unable to update her antivirus software at her end).
Is there a way to do this?
I want to avoid putting her computer online at my residence since my systems are quite different from hers (no dial up connection etc)
(My own method of course, on my own computer, is to keep my antivirus software up to date online but this can't easily be transferred to her computer since the updated virus definitions are not kept in the exe file as far as I know. Also, my computer runs XP, so the antivirus software will be looking for different stuff anyway.)
Most grateful for any ideas.
Kind regards
David W Solomons
www.dwsolo.com

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 -David-

-David-

• Members
  • 10,603 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:59 AM

Posted 21 February 2006 - 01:08 PM

Hi dwsolo - Nice site :thumbsup:

You should be able to manually download updates for the AV from another computer and transfer them to CD/memory stick. When you update the AV you should be able to import the update from the harddrive/CD. Can you tell me which AV your friend will be using and i can find out for sure for you and give you a link.

David

#3 dwsolo

dwsolo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:59 AM

Posted 21 February 2006 - 01:19 PM

Hi David
Glad you like the site :-)
It's a bit complicated using hers (PC-Cillin) so I suppose I should use my own, which is Windows Onecare (Beta). Maybe I should get something else (free?) instead just for this special procedure? What do you think?
Kind regards
David
www.dwsolo.com

#4 -David-

-David-

• Members
  • 10,603 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:59 AM

Posted 21 February 2006 - 01:24 PM

Well here is a link to the manual update download. It's under "Virus Pattern".

If you want me to recommend a great free antivirus I would recommend Grisoftsİ AVG or AVASTİ. As these are the more secure and better ones. Remember that you will still have to update this though; when you install it you have to have a connection to update it.

David

#5 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:59 AM

Posted 21 February 2006 - 02:13 PM

Hello dwsolo and welcome to BC.

I just thought that I would point out that Windows OneCare Beta won't run under any other OS than XP so it won't be an option in this case.

If your friends computer has a network card installed it could be a simple matter of just plugging it in to access the internet with your connection.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users