Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Change NIC cards between 2 systems of same model to change mac ids.

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Harry arni

Harry arni

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:22 AM

Posted 03 April 2012 - 08:38 PM

Hi
I have 2 laptops of HP. model is hp550 business notebook.

I want to interchange the mac addresses of both the systems with each other. Laptop "a" should have both LAN card and wireless card's physical addresses of laptop "b". I need it to be permanent, so i really dont see any use of some software to change mac address for some time and also we have to do it every time we reboot system.

• 1.) Is it possible if i change the NIC cards of both the systems, means hardware change which includes both the cards?
  • 2.) Can these nic cards be changed without changing other hardware?
  • 3.) Will there be any issue regrding performance or hardware compatibility?
Please note that both the laptops are same model purchased same day. These are old one about 3 years old. One is absolutely new and other one is completely f* up. So i need to change mac ids due to some problem with wifi connectivity. No other way else than changing mac add is possible.

Also if you can please tell me where these cards are located, any image or video or any graphic illustration etc. I have opened laptop several time for changing touch pad and keypads and ram.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:52 AM

Posted 03 April 2012 - 09:18 PM

The simple answer is-unless your good with wiring and a soder gun, you cant, laptop NIC cards are integrated into the laptops motherboard, the MAC address for that computer will always be it. If the laptop will not connect to the wifi, then the problem is not in your MAC address, but the router-if it is your router, then I would suggest checking out the networking section of our forums, and our networking experts can assist in rectifying the problem, if it is not your router, then I would suggest contacting the owner/administrator of said router about the problem.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users