Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

system help

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 jmillz

jmillz

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:56 AM

Posted 03 April 2012 - 07:57 PM

So, i am receiving a "hand me down" from my older brother and hes giving me a new mobo, cpu, ram, and PSU my question is can i take my hard drive and hook it into this new system and still be able to retrieve my old data?

i cant post any specific models yet but i will asap
-help would be greatly appreciated

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:56 AM

Posted 04 April 2012 - 04:36 AM

is he giving you a harddrive to use in it ,if so yes you could hookup your old harddrive and get data off it ,but if hes not giving you a drive ,then you will not be able to boot the old drive in it ,because of conflicts with chipset drivers and othere device drivers on the new motherboard ,so you will need to get the data off first ,and then you will need to inatall the drive into new setup and reinstall operating system[window or what ever ] on the driveto make it work with the new motherboard

Edited by caperjac, 04 April 2012 - 04:38 AM.

My answers are my opinion only,usually

#3 jmillz

jmillz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:56 AM

Posted 05 April 2012 - 06:59 PM

so use the new hard drive he is giving me to install windows on, and then add my old hard drives?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users