Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Changing MAC address

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 systemcompromised

systemcompromised

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:08 PM

Posted 03 April 2012 - 07:17 PM

I've read some tutorials on changing the MAC address in Win 7. Most say control panel-device manager-network adapter-network address?-?? the value is blank so what am I changing?
And which adapter do I want to change the value for anyway?
This is Win 7 Starter.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Compu-tar

Compu-tar

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:08 PM

Posted 04 April 2012 - 03:07 AM

http://whatismyipaddress.com/change-mac
"They say one of a baby's first non-verbal forms communication is pointing. Clicking must be somewhere just after that."

Ben

-Certified Computer Technician-

#3 systemcompromised

systemcompromised
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2012 - 07:38 AM

http://whatismyipaddress.com/change-mac

That's for Win XP.

#4 Compu-tar

Compu-tar

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2012 - 12:45 PM

Oh...sorry about that. Back to you original question though. Why are you trying to change your mac address? You were following the correct steps, but you want to make sure you change the network adapter that you'll be using to connect to the internet. Each Network card in your computer has it's own physical address.
"They say one of a baby's first non-verbal forms communication is pointing. Clicking must be somewhere just after that."

Ben

#5 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:08 AM

Posted 05 April 2012 - 03:19 AM

http://www.softpedia.com/progDownload/Win7-MAC-Changer-Download-191446.html
Download Win7 MAC Address Changer 1.8 Free -

I hope this is better for Windows7 -

Regards -

#6 systemcompromised

systemcompromised
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2012 - 08:05 AM

Oh...sorry about that. Back to you original question though. Why are you trying to change your mac address? You were following the correct steps, but you want to make sure you change the network adapter that you'll be using to connect to the internet. Each Network card in your computer has it's own physical address.

I have had a LOT of security issues and I want to do everything possible to try to prevent it in the future. I also read some directions on changing it through the registry but I just can't find what I'm looking for once I'm in there.

#7 systemcompromised

systemcompromised
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2012 - 08:09 AM

Regards -

I've seen that program but I haven't seen any reviews on it yet. I'm always wary of downloads though because I'm afraid of viruses.

#8 Compu-tar

Compu-tar

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2012 - 02:28 PM

Regards -

I've seen that program but I haven't seen any reviews on it yet. I'm always wary of downloads though because I'm afraid of viruses.

I wouldn't be too worried...it's a download from softpedia.

Ben

#9 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:08 AM

Posted 07 April 2012 - 04:25 PM

Part of one review only - There are several available -
This can be downloaded from most Mirror sites - Softpedia / Cnet and quite a few more - That was enough for me to place the link in here -

If you plan to change the mac address on windows 7 due to any reason, you may need to use this application is quite simple. This software named MAC Address Changer Win7, as the name of this application can serve to identify the network adapter.

This application is specific only to a computer using windows 7 as the os, but also you can use it for windows xp or windows vista. When using this application you will not experience much trouble with the user interface is quite easy to understand especially for beginners like me.

When starting to use this application, you will be faced with the choice of which adapter you want to change , when at a later stage you can choose the os system (windows 7, xp, vista) only 3 is that the support by the application you can start ini. And after this step you need to enter a new MAC address, or you can also choose to randomize select the option and let the application automatically generates it.

Regards -

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users