Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer doesn't recognize new hard drive size.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 cedarrabbit

cedarrabbit

• Members
  • 71 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:24 PM

Posted 03 April 2012 - 06:21 PM

I have a Toshiba Satellite A135 running Windows Vista Home Basic Service Pack 2 Intel Celeron 530 @ 1.73 GHz 2.00 GB RAM. It came with an 80 GB hard drive which has run out of space. I purchased a 250 GB WD hard drive to install. I copied the old hard drive to an external drive using EASEUS Disk Copy software and then copied from the external to the new hard drive. The copying went smoothly and I'm now using the new HD. However, my computer still says that I have the old HD and it keeps telling me that I am running out of space and can't perform some functions (like photo editing). So I'm wondering if there is something I need to do in order for my computer to recognize that it now has a larger hard drive or if perhaps there is something I should have done before copying the old one.
Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:24 PM

Posted 03 April 2012 - 08:42 PM

Sounds like your copy software set the new partition to the same 80 gig as your old hard drive. Go into disk management and see if you have more space available, then extend your current partition into the free space.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#3 cedarrabbit

cedarrabbit
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 71 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2012 - 11:26 PM

Could you elaborate a little? I'm not sure how to do that. When I go to "device manager" and double click on the drive, then go to "volumes" it shows a list for the volume with capacity at 238474 MB & unallocated space at 162156 MB. Under that it shows volume C: with a capacity of 74818 MB. So the space is there. How do I extend the partition to the free space?

Edited by cedarrabbit, 03 April 2012 - 11:26 PM.

#4 cedarrabbit

cedarrabbit
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 71 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2012 - 11:45 PM

Never mind, I googled it and figured it out. Thanks for your help; it worked!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users