Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Google Chrome Slow?

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 michaelnova

michaelnova

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:49 PM

Posted 03 April 2012 - 02:26 PM

Google Chrome sometimes gets so slow it is unusable. Lots of folks have offered help for the problem, but I have one good answer.

I tried everything. Virus scans. Registry scans. Uninstalling and reinstalling Chrome. Cleared browsing data. Nothing worked. Then....

Based on a tip from Google forums, I checked my userdata folder for Chrome. Guess what I found. There were about 65000 zero sized tmp files in the folder. The directory had been maxed out! There were also 65000+ tmp files in the folder above it.

I deleted the entire folder(s), and uninstalled Chrome. Then I installed Chrome again from the website. Bingo! Fast Chrome!

So after doing all the stuff I did, check out the userdata folders for Chrome and see if you don't have the same problem. The locations of the folders in Win XP are

C:\Documents and Settings\{username}\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default

and

C:\Documents and Settings\{username}\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Chrome\User Data

Those are the locations where I found the tmp files. Vista (yuck!) and Win7 will have similar locations. Check it out.

A few of my clients (I'm a computer guy) had similar problems, and I fixed it the same way. I don't know what causes it. I only know how to fix it.

This also fixes the 'Google Chrome didn't shut down correctly' problem.

*Edit: Moved topic from Am I infected? to the more appropriate forum. ~ Queen-Evie*

Edited by Queen-Evie, 03 April 2012 - 02:58 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users